6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   V 12 bone yard (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49247)

bobdylan February 21st, 2016 03:29 AM

V 12 bone yard

5 Attachment(s)
Some pictures from v12 grave yard on a large farm. Attachment 4206

Attachment 4207

Attachment 4208

Attachment 4209

Attachment 4210

George Bongert February 21st, 2016 06:29 AM

Re: V 12 bone yard

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdylan (Post 60878)
Some pictures from v12 grave yard on a large farm. Attachment 4206

Attachment 4207

Attachment 4208

Attachment 4209

Attachment 4210

Greetings bobdylan!

After seeing these pictures, I don't know if I should be shocked, or if I should cry! What a waste of rare vintage engines! The worst part is that many of these engines, if not all of them are beyond restoration! God what a shame!

bobdylan February 21st, 2016 02:35 PM

Four engines I tried turned over. Most of the engines were in working order when taken out of service. Several of the blocks that do not have heads have ..030 and.040 over high compression pistons. Bob

TJ's GMC February 21st, 2016 04:00 PM

That sucks. Big rare engines like those should have been taken care of and at Least put under a dang roof.

bozzhogg February 21st, 2016 07:17 PM

Man were is this at and what is their phone number??? Ross. Hodges Durham, NC with '66 GMC with '12 flat bed.

David R Leifheit February 21st, 2016 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdylan (Post 60880)
Four engines I tried turned over. Most of the engines were in working order when taken out of service. Several of the blocks that do not have heads have ..030 and.040 over high compression pistons. Bob

The ones without heads should be complete junk, which means the piston size isn't important. Those pistons are, or should be, rusted to the block. Getting them out will be "fun".

I'm actually surprised you could get any of them to turn over. Without some protection, every one of them should have at least two cylinders with pistons rusted into them. I have several 305s under cover, and have most of them stuck now (turned when stored). Motors which ran when pulled.

bobdylan February 22nd, 2016 12:41 AM

The engines came from a very dry climate, the cylinders that were in the open are really not pitted, I have seen engines that have heads on that get a little water and can not dry out look much worse, In will start soaking with ATF and deisel. Time will tell

bobdylan February 22nd, 2016 12:53 AM

For those asking for the location and phone number. The bone yard is being relocated to my place.I moved 8 engines and lots of parts, will take two more trips, I can only about 6 tons at a time. Bob

Nate February 22nd, 2016 01:12 AM

It's great that you were able to purchase these and save them from being sold as junk.
I buy any GMC BBv6 I come across around here, so far I have 2 305's plus the 1 in the truck I am working on now, the 2 305's that I have are stuck and I use them for donor parts.

George Bongert February 22nd, 2016 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 60886)
The ones without heads should be complete junk, which means the piston size isn't important. Those pistons are, or should be, rusted to the block. Getting them out will be "fun".

I'm actually surprised you could get any of them to turn over. Without some protection, every one of them should have at least two cylinders with pistons rusted into them. I have several 305s under cover, and have most of them stuck now (turned when stored). Motors which ran when pulled.

Greetings David!

You bring up a very valid point here, and that is even if any given engine is under cover, they can still "seize up" over time, mostly due to temperature/weather changes and condensation collecting on, and in the engine. Despite those engines being in a dry climate, being exposed to outdoor weather conditions certainly did not do them any good. In viewing those pictures, I did notice that the engines without heads had rust in the cylinders, and it has been my experience that cylinders with that amount of rust that the engine is already seized and will not turn over, and upon disassembly (which is the "fun" part that you eluded to,) the rust in the cylinders cannot be "cleaned up" by simply honing them, they have to be rebored. Still, I applaud bobdylans effort to save these engines from being scrapped and trying to salvage them.