6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Air Conditioning suggestions 66 GMC (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51067)

DanT February 6th, 2021 04:32 AM

Air Conditioning suggestions 66 GMC

In the restoration process on my 1966 GMC Suburban and would like to add an air conditioning unit. I am wondering what suggestions there are out there. I have looked at three different units. At this stage I just want the inside components so I can continue the inside restoration. Has anyone used the Hurricane set up? Mechanical or electronic control suggestions?

Ed Snyder February 6th, 2021 07:53 AM

Re: Air Conditioning suggestions 66 GMC

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT (Post 73773)
In the restoration process on my 1966 GMC Suburban and would like to add an air conditioning unit. I am wondering what suggestions there are out there. I have looked at three different units. At this stage I just want the inside components so I can continue the inside restoration. Has anyone used the Hurricane set up? Mechanical or electronic control suggestions?

I installed a Vintage Air System in my 1962 Suburban. I mounted the controls for it in place of the original heater controls as you can see in this photo. I installed two of the four air outlets on either side of the controls. The other two outlets are at the ends of the dash. You can also see the black evaporator box hanging down below the dash in this photo.

lizziemeister'sV6 February 6th, 2021 10:32 AM

Ed - does your AC unit keep up with the demand on a normal hot day? I have been toying with the idea of installing AC in my suburban also - here in Iowa it's not so much the heat it's the humidity - all that corn sweating. :teehee:

AZKen February 6th, 2021 09:09 PM

Tough to cool a big long metal heat box. On my 66 Carryall, I used to have a clear plastic "shower curtain" behind front seat. We Have 180 deg inside a cab if parked in the sun. But in Minnesota it's a humid heat. We have dry heat in AZ. A/C can't cool you "no matter what". The only thing an AC unit can do is have a good, low outlet temperature. (or a good delta).The rest is inside Cu ft, outside temp, humidity, color of truck...........

Ed Snyder February 7th, 2021 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizziemeister'sV6 (Post 73775)
Ed - does your AC unit keep up with the demand on a normal hot day? I have been toying with the idea of installing AC in my suburban also - here in Iowa it's not so much the heat it's the humidity - all that corn sweating. :teehee:

Can't answer your question since I haven't fired it up yet. But a modern system like Vintage Air should do a decent job of dehumidifying the air inside your Suburban.

BillT February 7th, 2021 05:20 AM

I agree with Ken, a "Shower Curtain" would make a big difference in a Suburban or a Panel.

That is as long as you are not carrying any passengers behind you.