6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "Coral" - my soon to arrive '63 Burb (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50411)

62Burb September 5th, 2018 01:21 AM

"Coral" - my soon to arrive '63 Burb

1 Attachment(s)
Twenty five years ago I was the steward of a veteran Suburban; a 1962 Custom half-ton that had been my FIL's before he passed. It survived more than 30 New England salt-road winters, multiple cross-country trips (including one to the Alaskan Pipeline - Don was an Industrial Pipe Fitter) and uncounted commutes and family camping and canoeing trips. My wife inherited it after he passed; he had meticulously maintained it mechanically and kept a highly detailed log. The odometer was no longer accurate, but total mileage was approaching 500,00, without an engine rebuild or burning oil. We had it about 4 years, at which point it was literally falling apart from rust and wear. We were leaving Colorado for Massachusetts again, for my graduate school, and said a sad farewell.

Fast forward to this week, and after a long wait, I am about to take possession of its replacement; a 1963 Custom Suburban found in New Mexico. It seems to be a basically one-owner vehicle, excepting the seller who has had it a couple months. It seems remarkably original; so rare to find one that has not been messed with! 95% original according to the seller, and the original buyer went all-out; A/C, PB/PS. Two tone Palamino Tan and Imperial White. Clamshell door, like our old one, and all three seats. 305 V6 and Powerglide. It runs (roughly) and drives. Some dings and dents (it's a truck!) and small rust issues, but nothing unusual.

My plan is to get it reliably running for next Spring/Summer Cruise Nights, with an eventual Pure Stock restoration ahead. Beyond excited!

Ed Snyder September 5th, 2018 01:36 AM

Re: "Coral" - my soon to arrive '63 Burb

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62Burb (Post 69655)
I am about to take possession of a 1963 Custom Suburban found in New Mexico. It seems to be a basically one-owner vehicle, excepting the seller who has had it a couple months. It seems remarkably original; so rare to find one that has not been messed with! 95% original according to the seller, and the original buyer went all-out; A/C, PB/PS. Two tone Palamino Tan and Imperial White. Clamshell door, like our old one, and all three seats. 305 V6 and Powerglide. It runs (roughly) and drives. Some dings and dents (it's a truck!) and small rust issues, but nothing unusual.

My plan is to get it reliably running for next Spring/Summer Cruise Nights, with an eventual Pure Stock restoration ahead. Beyond excited!

Congratulations on an awesome find! Looks like it has the custom trim and all four sliding windows too!. Are you sure it has clamshell doors? Looks like the tailgate/liftgate combo in the photo. I prefer that instead of doors myself. I've got one of each.

Hope to see more pix when it gets delivered. Keep us posted on your progress.

Funky61 September 5th, 2018 03:34 AM

Welcome 62Burb and more photos of this very nice Suburban!

62Burb September 5th, 2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 69656)
Congratulations on an awesome find! Looks like it has the custom trim and all four sliding windows too!. Are you sure it has clamshell doors? Looks like the tailgate/liftgate combo in the photo. I prefer that instead of doors myself. I've got one of each.

Hope to see more pix when it gets delivered. Keep us posted on your progress.

I must be confused on my terminology! I always associated the "horizontal line" lift gate/tailgate with "clamshell" because of the mental picture of an actual clam opening, and the "vertical line" side swinging doors as "barn doors". But yes, it is lift gate/tail gate, just like we had before, and apparently fully functioning!

Brad

Ed Snyder September 5th, 2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62Burb (Post 69659)
I must be confused on my terminology! I always associated the "horizontal line" lift gate/tailgate with "clamshell" because of the mental picture of an actual clam opening, and the "vertical line" side swinging doors as "barn doors". But yes, it is lift gate/tail gate, just like we had before, and apparently fully functioning!

Brad

Maybe I'm the one who's confused, Brad. In the past, I've heard the terms "barn doors" and "clamshell" used interchangeably. But I do like your train of thought regarding the mental image of an actual clam opening. That makes sense.

On the other hand, I did find this:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

62Burb September 5th, 2018 11:25 PM

Any authoritative expert voice out there on this issue? Which door configuration is which, guys?

FetchMeAPepsi September 6th, 2018 05:25 PM

Im no expert, just the village idiot, but I've always called clamshell doors the one with a window that opens up, then a tailgate that falls down. Looks like a clam, must be a clam.

Great description of the new truck though. I can't wait to see pictures! :welldone:

62Burb September 6th, 2018 10:53 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I'm working on arranging transport, so it will be a while before Coral is parked at my place; however the seller has provided a number of pics, some of which I'll post here. So far it's been a great experience working with this seller, very responsive with communication and requests. he really helped build a sense of trust for the transaction.

62Burb September 6th, 2018 11:01 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I'm very interested in hearing thoughts on the upholstery (worn to threads but original!); It lacks the long, shallow white triangle i have seen in other Custom seats. And note the very cool 9haha0 A/C ducting; it is a dealer installed mark IV unit. My intent is do a major tune-up and have it ready for a couple of years of Cruise nights, and hopefully an eventual restoration - but always Straight Stock.

Funky61 September 6th, 2018 11:41 PM

WOW,WOW and WOW!!!!