6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   305 to 350 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50232)

bobatwarsaw December 12th, 2017 10:42 PM

305 to 350

Hi all, I am going to apply for a texas bonded title probley next week for the 66 sw gmc. I have another project going on at the time on a willys fc-150, when I get a little spare time., I am going to try to get the engine running, if all comes to the worst and the engine doesn't pan out, I have a new 350chev crate engine. seting in the shop. the big question is now, if I have to use the 350, will it bolt up to the bell housing, I have a 305e in it now. if not is there a adapter kit for that? thanks for any info.

bobatwarsaw December 12th, 2017 11:09 PM

Re: 305 to 350

when I looked up the carburetors list for all gmc trucks
theres not one listed for a 66 gmc 305E any help on that
also would help ,thanks

WE7X December 13th, 2017 06:40 AM

You can find running 305's pretty inexpensively, if you ask around and keep your eye on Craigslist or E-bay.
IMHO it would be better to keep the 350 crate motor for a different project, and enjoy the truck as it was meant to be.

massey478 December 13th, 2017 11:11 AM

Do you have the carburetor? If you do, Rock Auto has a kit for the 1965 305 in the GMC 1500 that should help with a rebuild.

George Bongert December 13th, 2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobatwarsaw (Post 68383)
Hi all, I am going to apply for a texas bonded title probley next week for the 66 sw gmc. I have another project going on at the time on a willys fc-150, when I get a little spare time., I am going to try to get the engine running, if all comes to the worst and the engine doesn't pan out, I have a new 350chev crate engine. seting in the shop. the big question is now, if I have to use the 350, will it bolt up to the bell housing, I have a 305e in it now. if not is there a adapter kit for that? thanks for any info.

Greetings Bob!

In answer to your question, the 350 Chevy engine will definitely not bolt up to the Big Block GMC V-6 bell housing. What transmission do you have in your truck? SM318 three speed? SM420 four speed? Power Glide Automatic? For either of the two manual transmissions, you would need the appropriate Chevy manual transmission bell housing to make the conversion. As to the automatic transmission, you would have to ask someone else on this forum, as I have only worked on trucks equipped with manual transmissions. And, as a personal opinion, if your 305E GMC engine is bad, I would definitely search out and find a good GMC V-6 replacement engine. Far too many of these Classic GMC trucks have been converted to the Chevy 350 engine, which to me, entirely spoils the value and collectibility of these wonderful old trucks. Keep it original if at all possible.

bobatwarsaw December 13th, 2017 10:54 PM

thanks George for the info
I have sm-420, but all o0f the above may not mater any more.
I had some time today to take the truck to the dallas sheriffs office
to have vtr 68a filled out by them to start the title process, but
they denied the form because they couldn't find the serial number
on the frame.they said the the one on the cab wouldn't work it
had to come off the frame, just a bunch of red tape and bull crap.
so now I need help with the location of the frame number, and
better yet a picture of where it is located, so help out there with a 66
gmc number location would help a lot, if I cant find one, it all comes to the
end of my 66 that I never started
bob

George Bongert December 13th, 2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobatwarsaw (Post 68388)
bob

Hello again Bob!

Huh. That's funny. Are they loco?? I'm not saying that the VIN number is not stamped somewhere on the frame, but as many times as I was under my old '63 Chevy One Ton for normal maintenance, I never once saw the VIN number stamped anywhere on the frame of that truck! And given the fact that your truck is 1966, I find it highly unlikely that ANYONE would have put a different VIN tag on your truck! I too am interested in where the VIN number would be on the frame of these trucks!:pullinghairout: A little help here fellow club members?? It would be much appreciated!!

Ed Snyder December 13th, 2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobatwarsaw (Post 68388)
bob

Unfortunately, your sheriff's department doesn't realize that GMC did not stamp VIN numbers on the frame. See Jolly's page here http://6066gmcguy.com/VinNumber.html where it says "Unlike Chevrolet of the same year, GMC did not stamp the VIN on the frame. Your title Serial Number/VIN should match the number found on ID plates riveted or welded to your truck."

bobatwarsaw December 14th, 2017 12:24 AM

hi ed, thanks for your info
let me explane this again, I removed this truck from a house in Oklahoma. the realtor said if I removed it that he would give me a bill of sale which he did, I did not get a title. the previous owner of the house left it there abandoned, after phone calls and certified letters no luck, that's when I came in to play. I removed it and a bill of sale. I took it to the dallas sheriffs office to make sure it was not stolen and get a texas vtr 68a wich starts the title process, and you know the rest
bob

AZKen December 14th, 2017 02:16 AM

The bottom line is no matter how you got the truck and no matter what's involved in getting a title. The 6066GMCCLUB, with many expert members, the Bible for 6066 GMC trucks, is telling you that GMC DID NOT stamp the frames in those years. You will have to challenge the MVD to show you a 60-66 GMC that they have "approved" that had a GMC frame stamp with a 60-66 GMC serial number and NOT a Chevy serial number. They can't.

To be sure you know what you have and what you are saying to them, be sure you check our VIN/serial info to be sure it is a 66 GMC Truck, including where we say the VIN tag should be located.

I advise using Chevy truck bell housing and sm420 or sm435 if you swap to a SBC. The perch style motor mounts will work or any fabbed idea you have. It's just a matter of a motor mount scheme, truck bell housing mounted to a cross member and tranny is cantilevered. There are very few who will reject buying the truck because it is missing the 305. Most of us purists are in here and will mostly advise against it. But the billions of other buyers won't care and will actually like the SBC. What you are asking is like asking a MoPar guy how to put a Ford motor in a Dodge. They would cut off your lug nuts.

But anyway, as said, nothing fits without expensive adaptors that basically don't exist.