6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi October 3rd, 2013 01:33 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50621)
I am sure some one will howl about this advice. Take a flat file and remove the high spots on the end until it fits. Dead blow hammers and brass bars are your friend. Remember that. Barry

That's more in my price range. I won't mess up the weight and make it wobble at high speeds? (highest she'll ever see is 55)

What's a brass bar for? I'm ordering a 3lb dead blow today :)

BarryGMC October 3rd, 2013 01:42 AM

You won't notice a thing. The brass goes between the hammer and what ever you are beating on. I have brass rods and bars for various tasks. Very handy.

FetchMeAPepsi October 3rd, 2013 10:22 PM

Just a quick update. It's mounted! I just need to fill it with fluid, hook up the 4wd shifter, replace the hump and DRIVE baby!

:champagne::champagne::champagne:

Pics coming tonight. The kiddos have dr visits today (shots booo!) so it'll be late.

FetchMeAPepsi October 4th, 2013 04:06 AM

Like I always do I started with the piddly stuff to get my feet wet. I got my 4x4 shift bracket and my stick shift ready for mashing together. The only problem was my herculiner that I put on everything. It made the fit too tight!

So I grabbed Mr. Hammer and he negotiated the two into a deal. Then I touched up the bald spots with more herculiner.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then I drove the pin in, same problem.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Next came the washer (both sides) and cotter pins (also both sides!)

Finally I got to use my brand new grease gun. Greased it up good till it spun around very freely.

Then I crawled under the truck again to install the throwout bearing. The new bearing is larger than the old one so I put a crowbar on the fork and pried it away just a little.

This let me slide the bearing in easily. The big part goes toward the engine. Remember that we greased it up earlier.

After I got it in I saw it wasnt lined up.

So I poked my crowbar in it and wiggled it around till it did. Notice that bling-bling on my crowbar? Kinda matches the transmission, don't it? Overspray is a hateful booger.

FetchMeAPepsi October 4th, 2013 04:53 AM

If you remember I was stupid and banged on my transmission's input shaft with a hammer. I won't do that again.

Thanks to BarryGMC I got the idea to take after it with a bastard file and use the old pilot bearing as a tester. After 400 strokes I had this and a sore arm.

I mean 400 strokes in one place. I then moved a little bit and did another 400 strokes. It didn't seem to be doing anything at all. So what did I do?

Arr ARR ARR! :lolsmack:

About 5 mins of the grinder and boom

That's what I'm talkin' bout, JACK!
So now...get up on the JACK!

I didn't have a little helper today so I had to figure out a way to jack the jack with my leg while holding the transmission on the jack with one hand. The blue line shows my leg to my foot. Keep a phone nearby if you do this. It could fall off and break your face.

Not sure what this picture was meant to show, but it slid in pretty easily with about 5 minutes of wiggling and pushing!

I hand tightened the top bolts to keep it safe and sturdy.

FetchMeAPepsi October 4th, 2013 05:22 AM

After getting the top bolts in fingertight I slipped the bottom bolts in. Remember they go in backwards though. I went ahead and tightened them up good.

Then I tightened the top bolts through the open transmission hump.

Only then was I OK with lowering the jack. Safety first!

Now for that stinkin linkage. I put the first one on and it wouldn't fit. I scraped a little of the paint away and put it on a little. it goes on with the threaded spot pointing down. Then I banged it with a wrench to get it back on.

I ran the bolt through and held it with vise grips while I used the impact on the other side.

The back one stuck out far enough I could whack it with a hammer to get it back on and bolted up.

I almost forgot the transmission bolts.

Can't forget the little tabs either.

Then the drain plug goes back in. I might need some touchup after all the up-and-downs on the jack.

Tying it back up, the driveshaft goes next. I held it high and to the driver's side so I could get it pushed into the gasket on the end of the transmission.

Then I set the rear portion in the joint.

I put the Ubolts on last and tightened them up.

Don't fear the dirt. I'll give her a proper washup after winter. I was in a rush today because I need to get Cecilia out of my garage this weekend.

Funny thing, I wound up with four little bolts that I have no idea where they go. Um...

And as I typed that it dawned on me that they go in the flywheel cover plate that I forgot about. :lolsmack:

I'll get that on Saturday.

gmc1963 October 6th, 2013 01:01 AM

get some bins for parts. itll be easier to put them back on in order.

FetchMeAPepsi October 6th, 2013 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc1963 (Post 50664)
get some bins for parts. itll be easier to put them back on in order.

That's not a bad idea. I might pick up a set or two. Right now I'm putting the smaller parts in plastic halloween cups.

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 01:02 AM

Finishing up I slipped the flywheel cover back on. It has to kinda wedge under the back side under the bellhousing mounts.

I put the front bolts in first to line it up. Just finger tight.

Then the back ones. After they're tight I tightened up the front. This is a cover so it doesn't need 800 ft./lbs. of torque!

Then it was time for some oil! I got a transfer pump a few months ago.

Then I carefully measured out 28 oz. of part number 58304, Red Line 75W90 NS GL-5 Gear Oil because that's how much the manual says it takes. I shouldn't have. It took a whole quart.

Put the fill plug back in

I Put all the bolts back in the hump. Boy that looks odd tied down with old bolts and in an unpainted floor. :(

I poked the shifter through the hole.

Then went underneath and tied it to the Rockwell T221 linkage

Then I took the two bolts back out of the tail section of the transmission (it wont leak) then put the bracket back on it and bolt it back down.

I put my brand spankin new shift boot on. it didn't fit. Mainly because 2wd Hi is all the way forward. It collapses the boot too much and throws it into 4wd Hi. I need to find a different boot. I ended up taking it back off.

Here's the ring.

And finally the freshly painted handle.

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 04:49 AM

Then I started her up and took her for a spin!

The transmission performed flawlessly! And the new clutch was great! I was able to engage it without pulling my foot all the way up to my ear.

I pulled out of the garage, into the drive, and into the street. I shifted to 1st and took off VROOOMMM!!! Then I went to shift to second. I took my foot off the gas....And my joy was interrupted by this maddening SKREEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
it sounded like dragging chains behind me. Ugh.

I pulled her around to the back yard and made peace with having to rebuild the Rockwell T221 transfer case (Also called a Timkin T221).

I'll go through the step-by-steps like normal for that but I want you guys to know one thing. I took the U bolts off the drive shaft going from the Rockwell to the rear end and....

..... BONG!!!!!!:ahhhh:

The entire shaft fell out in the dirt! I was like, Hubba-whaaa?!!?!

There lying in the sand by the rear end was the nut and washer that SHOULD have been tightly clamped on the rear end through the drive shaft. It was entirely off! So thats my noise.

All that rebuilding, knuckle busting, and changing my entire rebuild schedule, but I could have skipped it all and tightened a nut. THANKS OBAMA! :lolsmack:

Oh well. I had fun when i wasn't pulling my hair out. And I learned something. Always a good day when you can say that. i love this truck!