6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 04:56 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Before finding the wayward driveshaft I mentioned that I dropped the Rockwell T221. Here's how I did it.

First, I disconnected all of the drive shafts. There are two "U" bolts on every shaft with four nuts on the end of them. IIRC they're 1/2 inch bolts.

The rear shaft

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The input shaft that goes to the transmission

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

And the front shaft

Sorry for the pic quality. The camera got smudged and I didn't notice till I was copying the pics over.

The Ubolts probably won't just fall out once you get the nuts off. You can bang them with a hammer (put the nut back on a little so you don't buggar them up!) or use a big screwdriver to pry them off.

And you should tie or prop up the input shaft so it doesn't pull on the new gasket you put in and cause a leak later.

Take the cotter pin out of the shift linkage at the two points on the transfer case. Then pound the pin out with a hammer. I always put it back in afterwards (and the cotter pin) so it doesn't get lost.

Unscrew your speedometer cable

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 05:07 PM

Drain the oil so you loose a little weight.

To get the bolts out I had to go out and grab a $30.00 set of sockets from Autozone. On one hand I thought, dang that's $30.00 I didn't plan on spending. On the other hand....New tools!:champagne:

My transfer case fluid was a healthy chocolate milk color. I dont think it came from the factory like that. :headscratch:

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2013 05:44 PM

Stick a jack under the transfer case because it's HEAVY.

Then unscrew those 15/16 bolts from the passenger side. this was one of the pics that was messed up but they're huge bolts you can see by just squatting down and looking under the truck. Very easy to spot.
They're very short bolts too so don't get crazy.

Now take the bracket bolts loose where it connects to the emergency brake. there's two bolts on the rear, two underneath. You can see the bolt holes they came out of right above the bolts in my hand.

Another pic that messed up is the underneath bolts. When you take these out the tranny will try to fall. Make sure you put the plug in the drain hole and that the transfer case is braced up by the jack!

It will try to twist too, be careful.

When it's out pick the dirt dobber nests off. Mine had something like concrete on it too. not sure what that came from. I had to chisel it off with a screwdriver.

Anyway, that's it for removal. I hosed mine off with a pressure washer after washing the inside of my garage from the tranny repair. Both were a hot mess.

FetchMeAPepsi October 8th, 2013 05:37 PM

I know most of you guys won't have (or be interested in) a 4x4 so this part might be kinda boring for ya. I'll try to hurry it along.

Today I ordered a pieced together rebuild kit from Rock Auto for about $113.00. The only kits I found online complete were almost $300 :ahhhh:
I ain't spending that. I have a budget here!

Here's my shopping list. I'll edit it if they arrive and dont fit or I missed anything:

The Seals:
  • Input Shaft Seal SKF Part Number #15655
  • Output Shaft Seal National Parts #472164 (x2)
  • Shift Shaft Seal SKF Part Number #7440 (x2)

The Bearings/Sleeves:
  • Rear Output Shaft Bearing (Cupped) SKF Part Number #BR15126
  • Front Outer Bearing National Parts #207L
  • Front Inner Bearing National Parts #209L
  • Rear Bearing Sleeve National Parts #15245
  • Front Bearing Sleeve SKF #BR14276
  • Main Shaft Pilot Bearing SKF #JH1612

Next up, the teardown dun dun DUNNN!!!

FetchMeAPepsi October 10th, 2013 06:23 AM

I spent the last two days cleaning up from the tranny rebuild. It looked like a bunch of dirty grease gremlins had a night of drunken debauchery in my tools. Eww.:poke:

So I rubbed them down with a roll of paper towels and some mineral spirits. That stuff is good for cleaning grease. The little square (3ft by 2ft or so) of plywood that I put on my bench to keep it from the worst of the paint, dirt and grease was so bad I had to take it outside and wire-wheel it to get it usable again. That got me started on wanting to wire wheel more stuff so I put all of my U-Joints in the carb cleaner for a two hour soak.

Then the FEDEX truck showed up with half of my seals. WTG Rock Auto! :thumbsup:

I put them away then remembered my NOS muffler I got a few months ago. It's got a cheesy chick on it trying to look all shy. I don't know what that has to do with mufflers.

I tried to slide it on myself. It has a larger side on the intake that fits right over my existing exhaust bits, but I cant get it to stay on with just sliding it on. it falls off when I start the truck. It sounded pretty good while it was on though. Still throaty but without the loud thunderous knock. I put it away again for now.

I moved back in the garage and touched up the step supports with more herculiner.

Put my old pressure plate, clutch, throwout and pilot bearings on a shelf. I can't throw them away yet. Hoarder!

Then I pulled the Ubolts out of the carb cleaner bath and put them on paper towels to drip while I wipe them down. The powder puff stepped up then and noticed something I didn't.

Did you see it? Here's a closeup

Yep, that's a smiley face! Powder Puff said, "daddy, this is probably the happiest job you have ever done on Cecilia, huh?" :lolflag:
Gotta love how kids' minds work. I wire wheeled them all down then sprayed them with Ospho. I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with them. :D

While they soak and convert I turned to my transfer case. I wire wheeled on it a little more but it's nasty stuff was still too hard. Instead I sprayed it with more Super Clean. Then I took off the side bracket.

Here's a pic of the bolt with all the pieces on it in order for reference. They didn't put any drain holes in the bracket so the metal spacer sits in water all the time. It corrodes to the bracket. I had to break mine loose with a hammer on one side.

And that was it for the day. Piddling stuff really, but it all needed doing. Here's to a good healthy cleanup and taking one more bite out of the elephant! :beer:

FetchMeAPepsi October 21st, 2013 08:27 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. It got c*o*l*d here so I've been out of the truck mood lately. I guess I got too quiet because I got other members kickin me in the butt to get an update :lolflag:
I love this place:clap:

Here's what I did while I wasn't working on Cecilia.

Got a junk 4wheeler someone was done with for ...wait for it....

Oh yeah! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is what I hope it will look similar to some day:

Right now it looks like that rolled in dirt and razor blades. And the gas line is cut. Cecilia has given me confidence that I can at least try to make it putter around for the kids. All you need are good bones, right?

Then I did this (stick):

So i could try to build this before winter hits hard

Steel is expensive. And I might be getting into more than I can handle, but I thought the same thing with Cecilia. I'm learning that once you get your hands into mechanical stuff they're all pretty simple concepts until you get wires involved. There's no magic there after all. Who knew!?:headscratch:

So after all that we took a break to do this:

yep, that's 8 points buddy! The redhead was a happy camper and we'll have some meat in the freezer for jerky and stew. Nom nom nom.

It's been a good time, but ya'll are right. I haven't done any truck stuff. I've got limited time to put the log splitter together (borrowed welder) so it'll be a little while till I get trucky again. I'll have alot of the splitter put together next weekend and the following weekend. It's gonna get colder pretty quick though and when it does I'll be done outside till spring, just a heads up. Like molasses I dont move much when it gets below 60 degrees. Brrr!

BarryGMC October 22nd, 2013 02:43 AM

60 degrees? Crap it's barely got above 60 for while. Love it.... New roofs and painting are on right now. Most of my work is done in the shop when it's cold. 50 to 60 is best inside. I can't handle it above 75 and 20 percent humidity. Well we are all different.

tommyduncan October 23rd, 2013 02:44 AM

Just keep chipping away at it. That's how things get finished. Try to bare it long enough to get whole assemblies into the warmth and do what you can.
I just got mine back together finally. It was a chilly 82° here today.:poke:

FetchMeAPepsi November 8th, 2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 50809)
60 degrees? Crap it's barely got above 60 for while. Love it.... New roofs and painting are on right now. Most of my work is done in the shop when it's cold. 50 to 60 is best inside. I can't handle it above 75 and 20 percent humidity. Well we are all different.

Yup! I know people up north call it garage weather or something like that. They have heaters in the garage and really get alot done. Me, I'm sitting on the heater vent until spring gets here, counting the seconds :lolflag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 50818)
Just keep chipping away at it. That's how things get finished. Try to bare it long enough to get whole assemblies into the warmth and do what you can.
I just got mine back together finally. It was a chilly 82° here today.:poke:

82! Man I'd kill for that. It was 64 today but yesterday it was 45!:noway::noway::noway:

I started a thread in the "other threads and projects" section on the wood splitter if you guys get bored and need some pictures. Once it's finished I'll try to get the transfer case put together. I'm missin my Cecilia again but I have to get this wood split before it gets super cold.

:morecoffee:

BarryGMC November 21st, 2013 05:59 PM

15 degrees this morning... The welding helmet keeps fogging up. So I am taking a break. I got your info yesterday. Today or tomorrow I will get Cecilia's Christmas present off to you. You know the ladies all like things that sparkle. Barry