6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

BarryGMC September 12th, 2014 04:20 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Hey coyote. I grew up with all that music. But it was my dad that played it. He was just a couple of years younger than you. He has been gone a long time. Do you still the 58 impala ? For nostalgia I will post some pics of my 58. Its a holy crap car. 44.000 miles . 348 250 horse. Turbo glide. Posi. Pb. PS. Turquoise and white. Tri color interior. radio delete. I cant even take it out without being molested. Survivor. But tires and exhaust. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi September 12th, 2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andice (Post 54562)
Fetch: My Henry J had the same issues with shift linkage getting jammed (always in heavy traffic it seemed!) so I feel your pain. There was a metal pry-off cap on top of the shifter box that you could jam full of grease. When the small cap was off you could see where the two shifter arms needed to be lined up so the part that engaged each arm would have a smooth transition from 1st to 2nd gears - if these were not lined up then you would have problems. Kaiser Frazer even made a special tool (Miller Tool Company made it actually)that you could jam into the space between the two arms so they would line up perfectly. First you would have to loosen the nuts on both shift linkages then tighten them up when they were aligned. Forever I thought my problem was worn grommets on the linkage. In the end it was an alignment issue. I am sorry that just found out about your issue. Perhaps I could have shortened your suffering.

That's OK! I'm just glad it's fixed. I should have brought it up but I made that big assumption that I knew what was wrong because of the all the internet searchin I did pointed to welding. You know they can't put things on the internet that aren't true, right? :lol: next time I'm speaking up first! :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 54568)
You folks listen to some great tunes! Good info here, and the knowledge those old timer mechanics have is priceless!

I had something with a 3 on the tree (had many) that you would do what you are saying but there were holes in the arms and when a 1/4" (I think) drill bit would slide through the holes you would tighten them up. Can't remember what it was though.

Glad to see an update!

DAC

That sounds like a great fix! You know some old guy was fiddling with it one day and thought, Hmm, I wonder... (grabs a drill bit).....SCHLOOP! Yep, it slides through. New rule of thumb!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeannie (Post 54599)
Pepsi,

This message arrived from Coyoterun via email:

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

Thanks Coyote and Jeannie! Coyote that sounds like a fun night. And the cops probably didn't think twice about it. "Youwanna squeal 'em? Lemme get my cones out and you have at it!"

:yourock:

Tell the wife and daughter me and the Powder Puff say "Hi"!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 54637)
so are you gonna paint cecilia? or keep her rusty? she could come out nice 'n shiny one of these days!

Hantke thats the million dollar question. I have a strict set budget of $4800.00 to spend on her and then that's all she wrote. I love her to death but I won't go sinking money into her that I won't feel good about. I figure if I get in a real bad way I can always sell her for around that and not be out an arm and a leg. We'll have to see how it goes when I get into engine fixins. If I have enough money for paint I just might shoot a couple of coats on her.

Original color, of course!

FetchMeAPepsi September 12th, 2014 08:31 PM

The next day we did one more for fun. Here's what they looked like originally

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Powder puff taped it up before we blasted it this time. I ended up blasting all the tape off and I knew it would happen, but she was having fun and I have a bunch of masking tape from all the painting The Blonde does. I'll just borrow another roll :teehee:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The tires that are on it now are Snow Kings that have this mark on them

Not very telling. I threw one in the back of the family car to carry to a bunch of mexicans that do tire stuff.

Then we grabbed a new, more classic shift boot that we got from classicparts.com, part number 40-641.

Packaging:

The only problem? It didn't come with a ring to go over the boot nor any screws. So we just put it on as it is until I can get those things.

PP unscrews the handle

PP putting the boot on. Last year she wouldn't have had the strength to do this. She's gettin' old so fast :noway:

And installed! Kinda.

That was it for the day.

The music for today was
Dion and the Belmonts - Runaround Sue
The Jersey Boys Soundtrack - Big Girls Don't Cry
Chuck Berry - No Particular Place to go
Bobby Darin - Beyond the Sea
The Isley Brothers - Shout (you know you make me wanna)
Chubby Checker - The Twist
Dion - I wonder why
The Crests - Earth Angel (Also from Back To The Future movie!)
Elvis - Hound Dog
The Regents - Barbara Ann (Bar-bar-bar, bar-bar-Ba'anne!)
Jersey Boys Soundtrack - Walk Like A Man (These remakes aren't too bad)
Frankie Valli - Can't take my eyes off you
The Crew Cuts - Sh-Boom (From the Disney Cars movie)
Elvis Presley - Burnin' Love

FetchMeAPepsi September 12th, 2014 08:47 PM

It was cold - and I mean like 60 degrees out today. You guys know me, my blood turns to molasses and I get hibernating when it gets about there. But I had some free time so I drove the family car (The Marshmallow) to see the Mexicans (prounounced "Mes'kinz") about the rim and tires I need.

As always they're freaking ON IT when you pull up to the shop. Running out and handling business. "Yes, sir!" they say.

"Can you guys find a rim and set of tires for me?", I asked.

"Yes sir! We got all kindsa rims. Whatcha got?"

I open the tailhatch and show them Cecilia's old, rusty glass slipper. He frowns and I know that to me it looks like this:

But to him it looks like this (needle in a haystack):

"Uhhhh......I dunno about that one. Where did you find it, a Ferd?"

I say, "Bite your tongue. That's a GMC wheel there!" We laughed and he told me to come back in a couple of hours.

Tick tock, tick tock....I get back at 1pm and the fella runs out the most beautiful old wheel I've ever seen next to the four I already got.

And the kicker is this - I say Great, how much? And you know what he told me? "$40 bucks".

Sweetest deal I've made in a while. I figured it'd be at least a hundred bucks. When I asked him about the tires he said, "Noooooo, cain't find 'em....But for $80.00 you can get some new."

:bigyikes:

I'll run back in a few days and see about that deal on 5 new tires (one spare). If it's decent tires with the good chunky outside he might have saved me a fortune. I'm a happy camper right now. :crazyyippee:

Foley September 12th, 2014 09:27 PM

Forty bucks? hundred bucks? In the ol' country lad, (Scutlund) she woulda been twenty five and not a bit more.

Hantke September 12th, 2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 54673)
Forty bucks? hundred bucks? In the ol' country lad, (Scutlund) she woulda been twenty five and not a bit more.

when my only remaining GM wheel blew out and i swapped a spare and got to the tire shop, he traded me two new matching front wheels + 2 new tires for . Imy 1 "vintage"(1996 LOL) GM wheel! it was off a 1996 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (my first car). he was thrilled, and my new front tires were 2-3" taller than my rear tires, so the front felt like it was jacked up like the mafia guys on the TV! best deal ever! (for a broke 17 year old who had to get to work) I went and got a pinstripe hat so that I could drive and bob my head to the music as i drove through the country haha I miss that old car, except when it rained it would fill with water from a hole hidden behind the dash board.

my ADD is showing again.

so how are you liking your media blaster?

FetchMeAPepsi September 13th, 2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 54673)

REALLY? Dang it! Every time I see them on Ebay they're $150.00 plus $80.00 shipping. I thought I had it made. Oh well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 54676)
when my only remaining GM wheel blew out and i swapped a spare and got to the tire shop, he traded me two new matching front wheels + 2 new tires for . Imy 1 "vintage"(1996 LOL) GM wheel! it was off a 1996 Oldsmobile Delta 88 (my first car). he was thrilled, and my new front tires were 2-3" taller than my rear tires, so the front felt like it was jacked up like the mafia guys on the TV! best deal ever! (for a broke 17 year old who had to get to work) I went and got a pinstripe hat so that I could drive and bob my head to the music as i drove through the country haha I miss that old car, except when it rained it would fill with water from a hole hidden behind the dash board.

my ADD is showing again.

so how are you liking your media blaster?

I'm lovin it. It needs refilling about as often as I need a break to shake off the rocks and breathe anyway and it will plumb tear off some rust, let me tell ya! Only thing, it'll beat the top layer of skin off your arms if you arent aiming the right direction.

Oh, and my bed wood got delivered. Quarter sawn white oak :)

BarryGMC September 13th, 2014 02:37 AM

You crack me up pep.

FetchMeAPepsi September 14th, 2014 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54679)
You crack me up pep.

:giggity:

I was looking at why my old tires have H78-15 on them because that's not a size I recognized like 255/70/R15 or something similar. Then I found this chart that tells me that those tires are Bias Ply tires from the olden days. And it translates to 235/70/R15's which are plentiful. :bananadance:

Click for bigger, like all the others :)

BarryGMC September 17th, 2014 03:53 AM

OK. Pep. Since you have the hard to find parts for power steering let's talk about the easy part. You really only need a few things. Most obvious is a Saginaw 4x4 steering box from a 68-91 4x4 straight axle truck . Second you need the arm. Most of the time its still on the box. Third you need the drag link. Fourth you need the section of steering shaft that goes from the column to the box. Next you need 4 spacers 3/4 inch thick. Or An adapter from captain Fab. Finally you need to make a pressure hose made up depending on what pump and year box you have. The hardest part is the axle arm mod. But a later model international arm only needs a bit of reamer work. Imo this is the best thing you can do to your rig. I will get some pics for you of the bits. Barry