6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Newbe 65 GMC (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50533)

Ccsmith August 31st, 2018 12:29 PM

Newbe

Hey there. New to the forum and need advice on where to start. Had an old friend who had a 1965 GMC long wheelbase c10 which has sat for over 20 years outside. Ask him to let me know if he ever wanted to get rid of it to please call me anyway Im getting the truck. Has the 305e with 3 on colum shifter. Everything is there and the body appears pretty solid. Just some rust in front of doors on bottom rockers. And surface rust. Would like to just clean up first to see what i have to work with but what are opinions on trying to start the engine which hasnt started in 20 years? I have average knowledge at best about engines but want to learn more and make it a project with my son. Thanks for advice

LEWISMATKIN September 1st, 2018 05:28 AM

Re: Newbe

first thing I would do is drain the fluids (oil, coolant, gear lube) and replace them with fresh fluids. Also, change the filters (oil, gas, air if equipped with a paper element, and the crankcase breather filter), tune the engine, clean out the gas tank, blow out the fuel lines, check brake fluid level, and so forth. If the engine is equipped with an oil-bath air cleaner, you can use some of the oil you drained out of the oil pan, mix it with k-1 kerosene (50/50 ratio), and you should be good to go. After the engine gets to operating temp., turn it off, remove the valve covers and set the valve lash clearances for both intake and exhaust valves. Intake valve lash is .012"H, exhaust lash is .018"H.

LEWISMATKIN September 1st, 2018 05:30 AM

by the way, welcome to the group, ccsmith!!!!!!

James September 1st, 2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN (Post 69607)
first thing I would do is drain the fluids (oil, coolant, gear lube) and replace them with fresh fluids. Also, change the filters (oil, gas, air if equipped with a paper element, and the crankcase breather filter), tune the engine, clean out the gas tank, blow out the fuel lines, check brake fluid level, and so forth. If the engine is equipped with an oil-bath air cleaner, you can use some of the oil you drained out of the oil pan, mix it with k-1 kerosene (50/50 ratio), and you should be good to go. After the engine gets to operating temp., turn it off, remove the valve covers and set the valve lash clearances for both intake and exhaust valves. Intake valve lash is .012"H, exhaust lash is .018"H.

I agree with Lewis. All I can say is be sure to thoroughly clean the fuel system (including the fuel lines). If any of that old gas is in the system and you get the engine running. That fuel crud will cause the intake valves to stick, which will open the door to a big problems. This is what happen to a friend of mine 305 V6.

Being it been sitting for 20 a new fuel pump should be needed.

Welcome to the club.:thumbsup:

Ccsmith September 2nd, 2018 04:42 AM

Thanks yall. I plan on replacing fluids, fuel tank and lines, new plugs wires etc. before even starting to to try to crank it. I want to start wet sanding body to see about a patina finish but is that worth going through if not ready to clear coat? I think eventualy i will tear it down completely but i just wanna see if i can get it running and driving to enjoy a ride abefore complete teardown which will take years financially.

OdieTN September 3rd, 2018 04:52 PM

Welcome and congrats on your new truck!

TJ's GMC October 1st, 2018 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ccsmith (Post 69624)
Thanks yall. I plan on replacing fluids, fuel tank and lines, new plugs wires etc. before even starting to to try to crank it. I want to start wet sanding body to see about a patina finish but is that worth going through if not ready to clear coat? I think eventualy i will tear it down completely but i just wanna see if i can get it running and driving to enjoy a ride abefore complete teardown which will take years financially.

If you have a pressure washer available that's what I'd do first. Sometimes that will bring some shine back just giving them a good bath.
I wouldn't worry about the body to much until you have it mechanically sound for enjoyment first. Get it cleaned up and running...do some driving...have fun and then make some improvements.

snazzypig October 1st, 2018 04:33 AM

TJ is so right! Get it mechanically safe and reliable first. Then drive it and enjoy it for a while. You might just decide to keep it original instead of restoring it.

62Burb October 3rd, 2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 69621)
I agree with Lewis. All I can say is be sure to thoroughly clean the fuel system (including the fuel lines). If any of that old gas is in the system and you get the engine running. That fuel crud will cause the intake valves to stick, which will open the door to a big problems. This is what happen to a friend of mine 305 V6.:thumbsup:

I'll add my AMEN: my '63 Suburban 305E arrived running very poorly; seller said it had sat for many years w/o running before he started it. Turns out there were 3 stuck intake valves/bent pushrods; hopefully up and running this week!

Ccsmith October 4th, 2018 07:52 PM

Thank you for the replies. Can anyone tell me the difference in the coils rear suspension and leafs. Mine has leaf springs. I have done a little research and I guess it was just an option to get the leafs. Anyone have any other insight.

62Burb October 4th, 2018 09:32 PM

According to the history I have seen, starting with '63 they switched to rear leafs. The '62 I had long ago had coils, my current '63 has leafs.

BillT October 4th, 2018 10:09 PM

I've always known it to be that the GMC's got Rear Leafs and the Chevy's got Rear Coils, although I believe you could have ordered Coils if you preferred it.

Ccsmith January 16th, 2019 06:08 PM

Re: Newbe and it RUNS!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey there thanks for the respones. Right after i got the truck i blew my ACL so it has been on the back burner. Now that im moving around better i get back to working on him. Did new plugs, wires, coil, points, condenser, fuel pump and rebuilt carb. Poured atf oil on pistons for a few days and let soak. Hooked up new battery and he fired right up AFTER 27 years. Excited. My radiator is shot so getting a néw aluminum one from champion radiator out of cali for $184. Had to hook up a tire valve to upper rad hose and blow out gunk because it would not take any water. A bunch of old rusty flakes came out and after about 30 gallons of water flushed though it is clear.

Next i pulled the bed off and cleaned the rear frame and axle to get ready to put in under bed tank from LMC.

Has anyone used POR15? Thinking using that while the bed is off to protect it all.

Ccsmith January 16th, 2019 06:20 PM

Re: Newbe n more pics

3 Attachment(s)
Here some more pics right after i got him

Ccsmith January 20th, 2019 10:16 PM

Newbe 65 GMC

3 Attachment(s)
I started a topic in the general discussion but I’m not sure how to transfer it to the builds journal. After sitting for 27 years I got him running a few weeks ago. He has the 305E V6 engine with the three speed manual. I pulled the bed off the other day and cleaned up the frame and axle and use the POR 15 to protect it. Hoping tomorrow to put the new fuel tank in.

Ed Snyder January 20th, 2019 10:39 PM

Re: Newbe 65 GMC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ccsmith (Post 70439)
I started a topic in the general discussion but I’m not sure how to transfer it to the builds journal. After sitting for 27 years I got him running a few weeks ago. He has the 305E V6 engine with the three speed manual. I pulled the bed off the other day and cleaned up the frame and axle and use the POR 15 to protect it. Hoping tomorrow to put the new fuel tank in.

Looks like it's been awhile since that heater was connected!

Keep up the good work, CC. We'll be watching for more progress photos.

James January 21st, 2019 10:17 PM

I'm not sure but I think the heater hose need to be connected between the inlet to the outlet, even though it just circulating the coolant. I believed that extra flow will allow enough heated coolant from both heads to pass by the thermostat and allow it to open. Without it its possible for the engine to overheat without any indication on the dash. I don't know if the bypass hose to the pump is sufficient to prevent overheating. Like I said I am not sure what will happen. Just my thoughts.

Ccsmith January 22nd, 2019 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advice and keep it coming. Kinda learning as i go. Until i get a new radiator i have only run it for less than a minute because i didnt want it to get hot. I did connect the old rad but didnt see any flow so maybe hooking those up will get me the flow. Right now there is no thermostat in it as well. I guess they drove it without one. Got the new fuel tank installed yesterday.

James January 22nd, 2019 11:44 PM

With no thermostat it will take forever to warm up.

James January 26th, 2019 01:37 AM

I was thinking about your truck today and it occur to me that you might want to dig into the engine a little deeper.

I understand why some people would leave the thermostat out. A colder running engine produce more power. This might be true on a racing engine, it is not true for a daily driver. My truck takes about 5 miles to get it up to normal temperature with a thermostat. It does not like to run when it is cold and sometime I have to use the choke.

If they did drive it without a thermostat don't be surprise when you remove the valve cover (for your routine valve adjustments) that you will find a lot of carbon/sludge build up everywhere. Not allowing the engine to come up to proper operating temperature will not allow the water/fuel to leave the engine oil through the crankcase vent system. If this is allow to continue it will starve the engine of lubrication and then you will start to hear a rod knocking. I recommend removing the valve covers and pan to remove the carbon/sludge (and maybe the camshaft cover too). Then with a new filter and new oil drive the truck about 100 miles and change the filter and oil again.

This is only my opinion. It hard enough to buy parts for it and I like to keep it running.

Ccsmith March 25th, 2019 08:19 PM

Thanks for the responses. Due to kids activities been away for a while. Got the frnot clip off and por15 in the engine bay and underside of hood. Got a new radiator ordered today from champion radiator in CA. Got new aluminum fuel line put in from new under the bed tank. I flushed out the engine quite a bit until i got clear water coming out but there was alot of rust/scale. I saw champion radiator has an inline coolant filter that goes on upper rad hose that i think im going to get as well. Also saw on youtube a guy used screen material and inserted it in the upper rad hose to catch any particles. Think i may do that and run several times once new rad is in so i dont clog it. Any thoughts?

Ccsmith May 14th, 2019 03:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well since the last post i tore off the front suspension and ordered new tubular upper and lowers with stock height spring and shocks from performance online. Everything came off with old hand tools thankfully. While the old front suspension was off i used the POR 15 to coat anything I could reach around the engine bay. Got the new tubulars installed and looks good. Now just have to save a few more pennies for the front discs, booster, master, por valve and brake lines. I havent looked yet but is anyone familiar where i can get vacuum from the intake for the booster. Like i say learning as i go and i think i have watched every video on 305 v6 on youtube. Really wish i had a shop to work on it in but the old backyard works.

James May 15th, 2019 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a plug on the back of the intake manifold. I bought the fittings at Home Depot. If you are planning on removing the intake manifold be sure to break the plug free first, it is on very tight.

Ccsmith May 15th, 2019 03:10 PM

Thanks for the picture!

FetchMeAPepsi May 16th, 2019 05:58 PM

Looks good! I think it's a federal law that you MUST put por-15 over the openings to your zerk fittings when you smear it around the suspension though.

:lolsmack:

Ccsmith June 12th, 2019 07:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had a setback. Psgr side head front freeze plug started leaking. Once i got it out the inside of head was completely clogged with rusty scale sludge. Guess thats what happens when u leave water/anti in engine and it sits for about 27 years. I had flushed alot of crud out but when i saw inside heads i pulled them off. Soaked clr in coolant passages of heads and used flexibe bore brushes to scrub inside. Pretty clean now

Put a strait edge on block and heads and nothing warped. Buddy said while heads off to do a valve job so i may be learning how to do that soon.

WDShaffer June 14th, 2019 02:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
:pullinghairout: After much frustration with purchased valve spring compressor tools, I made my own. It is useful for stem wiper and spring maintenance without head removal. It does require spinning the nut onto and off of the rocker stud a few times, but with a "cow magnet" and an arm, the keepers are removed and installed with some ease. In your case, the store-bought tools will easily work. :teehee:

bigblockv6 June 14th, 2019 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 70999)
There is a plug on the back of the intake manifold. I bought the fittings at Home Depot. If you are planning on removing the intake manifold be sure to break the plug free first, it is on very tight.

I missed this post from last month, I have encountered this situation in the past on these manifolds, plugs or fittings after many years they're frozen on there so take a propane or map gas torch and heat up the plug or fitting and it will come off a lot easier:thumbsup:

Ccsmith June 26th, 2019 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advice. Had a buddy with spring compressor tool and all came off no problem. Took heads to machine shop and put in vat and tested for cracks. All good. They recommended using evaporust in block and let sit for several days to get that cleaned out as well. Took apart the rocker arm assembly and had alot of sludge so got that cleaned as well.

Ccsmith September 10th, 2019 05:09 AM

Been awhile with kids activities but slowly getting stuff done. Got the engine back together and fired right up. Got the front springs, spindles, and brakes on. Got the booster, master cylinder, and proportion valve on. Have the new brake lines in but not connected yet.

Ccsmith September 10th, 2019 05:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics

AZKen September 12th, 2019 09:30 PM

Mr. Smith, I ask you as a favor to please find out where your "rotate" button is in your picture files. Ask a friend how to do it or look it up. 99.9% of your pics are turned 90 degrees and are VERY hard to look at, as they are not normal to the eye. The brain must flip them to make sense. The flip rate of my brain is about one flip per second. This gives me a huge headache and causes me to not be interested in your pics. I know I am not the only one to be annoyed by this. It is basic picture posting 101.

James September 13th, 2019 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 71450)
Mr. Smith, I ask you as a favor to please find out where your "rotate" button is in your picture files. Ask a friend how to do it or look it up. 99.9% of your pics are turned 90 degrees and are VERY hard to look at, as they are not normal to the eye. The brain must flip them to make sense. The flip rate of my brain is about one flip per second. This gives me a huge headache and causes me to not be interested in your pics. I know I am not the only one to be annoyed by this. It is basic picture posting 101.

I found out if I just click on the picture they stayed turned 90°. However if I right click on the thumbnail picture then right click on "Open link new tab" and go to the new tab, Chrome will rotate it to be view correctly. Hope this will help you.

Ccsmith March 30th, 2020 07:41 PM

Well it has been a while. Sorry if my pics bother you didn't mean it just usually post on my phone and didn't know. Trying from a computer this time.

Hope everyone is healthy during this time and taking care of family and friends. Since this Corvid19 it has allowed me to do some work on truck. Got the rear axle seals and bearings replaced. got the rear drums completely overhauled and got new tie rod ends installed. All new brake lines installed and bled it out. Discs up front and drum in rear. Got the plug out of the back of the intake for the vacuum line to the brake booster. Ended up having to shave a bolt down square and then weld it to plug to get it out. Got front clip back on but not bolted. Trying to decide on wheels and tires now.

Ccsmith July 2nd, 2020 07:58 AM

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Got some new wheels and tires

Ccsmith July 2nd, 2020 07:58 AM

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ccsmith July 2nd, 2020 08:00 AM

Ok thanks to james recommending tapatalk in general discussions so hopefully now my pics are right side up

Ccsmith July 2nd, 2020 08:05 AM

New coolant filter and overflow tank

Ccsmith July 2nd, 2020 08:09 AM

Hard to see but this is the home where my truck sat in the yard for 28 years before i got it and put back on the road. Been a great and rewarding experience. Still have alot to do but enjoying riding around town whenever i can.

Funky61 July 2nd, 2020 06:20 PM

Very Nice Truck! I have never seen a coolant filter before. What impurities does it screen out?