6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What did you do for your GMC today? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50551)

FetchMeAPepsi February 6th, 2019 05:45 PM

What did you do for your GMC today?

I'll start. Today I ran all the gas out of Cecilia and left her to sit dry for a bit. I plan to pull out the new sending unit I put in and try different resistors on the wire to see if I can get it to read right when it's empty.

For some reason, and I know I bought the right one, but for some reason it still shows just shy of 1/4 of a tank when it's empty. This is the reason AAA loves me so much. I run out of gas all the time!

I figure a few days ought to do it. Also, I'm thinking about taking up cigars. Random thoughts...

jagarra February 6th, 2019 07:03 PM

Re: What did you do for your GMC today?

I have just tweaked( bend, readjust, reshape ) the rod a little so the float went down further at the lowest position. I thought about it more , since you are reading 1/4 tank when empty, you may have to bend it so the float is higher. You're trying to match the end of the travel to the float close to hitting the bottom of the tank.

OdieTN February 7th, 2019 02:43 AM

Today I did a little reading about using lead substitutes, walked a couple circles around the truck, rubbed my hand on it the knocking some peeling paint off, went and looked at new bed wood that is Stacked in the corner In the house (which momma thinks is really cool sitting in the house). And felt sad for letting it sit in the rain. Gotta get her back in the garage ASAP!

ronn February 7th, 2019 04:42 AM

Ordering a new gas tank and sending unit. Also prepping parts list so i can turn over the engine soon first time in 7yrs!

..as for cigars, maybe when i am working on something that doesnt involve gasoline! ;-)

TJ's GMC February 7th, 2019 06:20 AM

Been missing mine. :(

jbgroby February 7th, 2019 12:58 PM

Fetch, Have you considered bending the arm downward a bit? Cigars are good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 70564)
I'll start. Today I ran all the gas out of Cecilia and left her to sit dry for a bit. I plan to pull out the new sending unit I put in and try different resistors on the wire to see if I can get it to read right when it's empty.

For some reason, and I know I bought the right one, but for some reason it still shows just shy of 1/4 of a tank when it's empty. This is the reason AAA loves me so much. I run out of gas all the time!

I figure a few days ought to do it. Also, I'm thinking about taking up cigars. Random thoughts...

jbgroby February 7th, 2019 01:04 PM

Had to deal with the police with a missing persons report that my truck called in, I have not walked in the garage in a week........;)

FetchMeAPepsi February 8th, 2019 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 70568)
Ordering a new gas tank and sending unit. Also prepping parts list so i can turn over the engine soon first time in 7yrs!

..as for cigars, maybe when i am working on something that doesnt involve gasoline! ;-)

Haha! Seven years, that's going to feel great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 70569)
Been missing mine. :(

Where is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 70570)
Fetch, Have you considered bending the arm downward a bit? Cigars are good.

It's 1/4" from the bottom. I cut my old tank apart to measure it out perfect. I don't know what's wrong with the little sucker. What cigars do you like best?

jdnelson February 12th, 2019 09:44 AM

Cold start without plugging in, 13 below zero. Took my grandson out for a ride in the new snow. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d354e1390e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jagarra February 12th, 2019 08:07 PM

Since you have the sending unit out, hook it up to the wires going to gauge and see how it reacts as you move it through it's range. You mentioned you ordered a new sending unit, does the ohms reading between the sending units match?