6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New to thread with a 64 3/4 305V6 fleetside (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50468)

Funky61 November 3rd, 2018 08:12 PM

Re: New to thread with a 64 3/4 305V6 fleetside

That is a GREAT First-Look Truck with a hint of moss and all.

Oh I see power brakes and power steering(?) too! Very Nice Project :welldone:

POWERSTROKE November 8th, 2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 70040)
I will look for your build thread on replacing the tank. Thanks!
I have found they are aprox 150 then another 30-50 for the sending unit, does that sound fair market value?

That sounds Really reasonable to me. An 8 quart replacement gas tank for a Kohler single cylinder air cooled engine used on many brands and many models of garden tractors costs $300 last time I looked. I've built several from steel sheet, most cases enlarging them for longer run time. New replacements are plastic. Tougher than steel in my opinion. My 22 yr old pickup has two tanks. 20 gallon rear tank lasts 10-12 years before rust causes leaks. 24 gallon front tank is plastic. Nobody knows for sure how long they last yet.

FetchMeAPepsi November 12th, 2018 01:02 AM

Funky's right! That first look with the mossy pics was so cool! I'd be tempted to call him the "Swamp Monster" and finish him with a paint job to match! Then again, if it's a girl maybe "Coraline" (Cajun girl) or something similar.

No two ways about it, that's a good lookin truck to get started on. And having a helper, even if he's over 4 ft tall (haha), makes it even better. Post up some more pics when you get started and welcome to the obsession!

:goodjob:

ronn November 20th, 2018 06:32 PM

Being a non-op vehicle right now, I am looking at options for being able to maneuver it in the garage and drive. Anyone with recommendations for a 3/4ton truck... do car dolly's or wheel skates have the capacity and rolling ability with this weight? Any personal experience would be welcome! TY

EBasil February 28th, 2021 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, shucks: I want to see how it came out!!

In terms of dollies, I can confirm that we've moved our '64 around on the 4-wheel tire dollies from Harbor Freight.

I'll attach a photo of our 1-owner '64, taken before time caught up a bit more and I had to replace tires/tubes, drive-shaft pinion seal, differential seal, transmission seal, fuel pump, relay box, the cab-tank (twin bellies are okay) and the carbonized-duct tape sunvisors. Just about done and I realized the OEM exhaust is so thin and perforated at the back end of the muffler that I might as well do that, too. So, this one is up on stands right now...

jbgroby April 5th, 2021 01:19 PM

Ronn,

Repairing a old gas tank just isn't worth the effort, replacements tanks are only $150. They recently re-popped a 21 gallon tank for our trucks (LMC or Classictrucks.com has them) I have a 15 gallon tank and am swapping it over this winter to the 21 gallon model. Also while you re at it, swap out the sending unit. $30.00.

JMTC
Jake

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 70032)
I re-aquired my /64 pickup after it sat at a farm for 6yrs with a bad gas tank.

Wondering to any an all, where do i start. It's being towed to CA in a couple weeks, I'm thinking of putting in the gas tank, filling with high mileage fluids incl leak-stop and running it until I am sure no major leakage.

Fist time I've reconditioned a vehicle, any thoughts? TY

EBasil April 6th, 2021 06:40 PM

64 3/4 305V6 fleetside

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 73964)
Ronn,

Repairing a old gas tank just isn't worth the effort, replacements tanks are only $150. ... while you re at it, swap out the sending unit. $30.00.

100% agree!! I just swapped in an 18-gallon tank from Brothers, a new sending unit, new neck and new cab gasket. Not a difficult job, and much better than repairing the old tank (which I did before, and it grew new stalagtites!).

WE7X April 7th, 2021 06:43 AM

That is some 'interesting' instrumentation!:coolphotos:
I assume that is an ammeter over to the middle, with the vertical needle.
And the temperature gauge...is that for cabin temperature of engine?:ahhhh:
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

ronn April 8th, 2021 02:48 PM

Ampre's on the right, engine temp. There's a hole on top where there was an altimeter but it was removed at some point. On Guage grouping far right is engine hours... not sure why. Odometer has turned over 2x's as it caps out at 200k so it
has some experience!

ronn April 8th, 2021 02:48 PM

Ampre's on the right, engine temp. There's a hole on top where there was an altimeter but it was removed at some point. On Guage grouping far right is engine hours... not sure why. Odometer has turned over 2x's as it caps out at 200k so it has some experience!