6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Coolant temp switch (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51562)

Troyport April 12th, 2023 06:56 PM

Coolant temp switch

Hello all, my '68 GMC with the 351 V6, I have an aftermarket temp gauge sending unit installed where the temp light switch used to be. Would like to also have the light working too. Is there an alternate place I could install it? Thanks.

AZKen April 12th, 2023 08:57 PM

Re: Coolant temp switch

1. You have purchased a gauge and a sender/switch, right?
2. Do you have the other sender that was for the light?
3. You are asking where to install "it". Are you talking about the gauge or sender?

Senders for lights and gauges are different, so you will need to use both senders.
You can mount the gauge anywhere you want. On the cluster bezel or on a hang down bracket or whatever.
Senders are mounted where they will read water temp. On a tee or extra spot if you use two.

Troyport April 13th, 2023 12:59 PM

Sorry for any confusion. Gauge is installed under the dash. Sender for gauge is where the sender for the idiot light used to be. I want to reinstall the sender for the idiot light somewhere so the light is functional again. Is there another place on the engine where this can be done? I thought about t-ing into the heater hose or bypass hose with appropriate steel fittings, but don't really want to hack it like that. Thanks.

James April 13th, 2023 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyport (Post 77003)
Hello all, my '68 GMC with the 351 V6, I have an aftermarket temp gauge sending unit installed where the temp light switch used to be. Would like to also have the light working too. Is there an alternate place I could install it? Thanks.

I would install a tee where the heater hose attach to the water crossover manifold. Then place the temp. switch there. Water is always flowing in the heater hose.

Clarke April 14th, 2023 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyport (Post 77009)
Sorry for any confusion. Gauge is installed under the dash. Sender for gauge is where the sender for the idiot light used to be. I want to reinstall the sender for the idiot light somewhere so the light is functional again. Is there another place on the engine where this can be done? I thought about t-ing into the heater hose or bypass hose with appropriate steel fittings, but don't really want to hack it like that. Thanks.

When I added gauges to mine I added a sensor into the drivers side block (see highlighted area on left side of attached photo). (The highlighted circle on the right is where I added a second oil pressure sensor).

Troyport April 15th, 2023 12:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the help! I have a few solid options now.