View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:51 AM

Truck: 1966 1000 Custom
Onuma is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from Virginia

I'm new here, so I figured I'd introduce myself. I'm glad there's a community of people who love these trucks for various reasons, just like myself. I look forward to learning, and maybe one day imparting some help and/or knowledge to others here.

I'm Rob, from Alexandria, VA. I'm an Army vet, originally from New jersey, but I met my wife when stationed in this area and stuck around for good. I'm also father to our 5 week old baby; how tiring, exciting, frustrating and elating all at once!

Back in November I purchased myself a 1966 C 1000 Fleetside pickup, which I plan on restoring over the next long while. One of my crazy neighbors decided she didn't like my truck, so she took a brick to my windows and smashed the original windshield and driver's side window (minus vent glass) a few weeks ago. Luckily, the Fairfax County Police picked her up 20 minutes after the incident (at 2:30 in the morning) and she confessed to the local magistrate -- I'll be seeing her in court in several weeks, where I hope to get restitution for the damages done. Did I mention that she is nuttier than a squirrel?
In the meanwhile, I've priced out replacement parts, have already cleaned up some of the damage and have received a new side window.

Near as I can tell, my '66 is mostly stock except for the engine, rear shocks and tires. It's got lots of cosmetic flaws, a little bit of rot in a few places. However, it's got an excellent chassis and the original 3-speed column shifter, trans & rear only have about 58k miles on them. Looks like someone dropped in 350 V8, which I'm OK with.

Since I've never done a restoration before, this should be a great learning experience...maybe I should have started on something smaller, like a bicycle?