View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Temporarily Suspended

Truck: 1966
mtruckr is on a distinguished road
Default fuel pump...maybe

66 305E was idling in a driveway for 5 minutes after being driven for 15 minutes... fully warm. It then died while departing. Cranked immediately with ether spray into carb. Pulled fuel line- fuel pumped out with starter spin.
Then ran okay with fuel line re-attached.

One old school thought- maybe vapor lock.
Second thought- fuel pump might be getting old.

2 weeks later (yesterday), when next run... engine starts okay, warms for 3 minutes, then dies abruptly when out of the driveway. No apparent fuel pumping out of detached fuel hose between pump and carb.

Several details- fuel filter in line between pump and carb seemed almost impossible to blow through (removed it for now). Fuel level in tank was kinda low (I'm sure it's been lower in the last 5 yrs of driving), so I added 4 or 5 gallons. Fuel did not act like it wanted to go into the filler neck... took a long time to settle (was filling without nozzle or funnel , so it was being spoon-fed from smaller containers)

Found another fuel pump in the shop (Airtex 40050, I believe)... has not been used for several years since an engine swap. Spring had lots of tension and made a sucking noise when hand-tested. Installed it- still no fuel pumping out through the fuel hose.

This process will go better when I have a second set of eyes (and smarter eyes, at that) helping. Just wanted to get input from y'all in the meantime.

Might be fuel hose issue further back.
Might be a fuel pick-up issue...

This is an old Suburban that is 'original' (old and rusty)
5 years of 10% ethanol may be taking its toll.

All input appreciated !
Kelly Ott
Alpharetta GA
'66 Suburban