View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:29 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

That bearing is called a "race". (thanks Raycow for the terminology) Pound it down onto the shaft now.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then pound on the evil snap ring.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Finally pound on this spinny thing.

It needs to float 1" above the race.

Thats it for the tail shaft. Now grab the tail case. Im sure theres a better way to do this, but I just stuck a crowbar in the end of it and pried on the seal back there. it popped right out.

Old and new

Clean out the hole a bit

This part here is red RTV silicone. You should use GREY silicone instead, but I dont have any so this is what she got. Red is for high temp areas. Grey is for high torque areas.

Set the new gasket in it's new home then put the old gasket on top of it.

This protects the new gasket while you pound it with a hammer to drive it home.

Clean up the extra silicone.

Flip the case over and scratch or scrape off the gasket. I had to scrape mine off. If I didnt know it was there I wouldnt have thought to look. it was very thin and worn down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.