View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:09 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

The next day I was so sore I could barely move. So I ate some pills and did piddly work, painting stuff. I had a little bit of original paint on the transmission so I tried all of the orangy colored paints at my local autoparts store. I couldn't find one that matched exactly, but VHT brand Chevy Orange was pretty close. It lacks some rusty-red coloring but it dried decently close. Enough for this poor boy.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

So i painted half of it. When it dried 5 coats thick it was way oranger than the original paint. I should have gone with the chrysler red stuff.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

While it dried I put more bedliner stuff on these bits. I thought about doing the fat pin that goes in the shifter but decided it would make it too thick to get back together. It's a tight fit and it'll be covered in grease already.

As I painted it I thought I should test that little zerk fitting. it was clogged up so I took it off. It just unscrews.

I rooted out the hole with a coathanger. You'll know you're done when you can poke the coathanger all the way through and no more dirt falls out.

Then put the zerk fitting back on and try pumping grease into it. If it works, you'll see grease start to fill up the hole. you can barely see some grease in this pic. If it doesn't work your zerk fitting might be clogged or bad. Get a new one at the auto parts store for $2.99 or a complete set of them for $14.00.

I had a spot on the transmission hump where the shifter goes through that was bent so I banged it out to where I thought it looked factory shaped. It's a wavey bit of metal so I did it straight along the wave.

Then I wire wheeled it and opened a can of this stuff. it's supposed to be thicker and much tougher than the spray on stuff I've been using.

They aren't kidding. It's way more textured than the spray on stuff. Thicker too with little rubber bits through it. I'm not sure I like the look, but if it protects better it's what I want. it'll go on everything underneath and my floorboards under the sound deadener.

I also put it on these circled parts because they live under the truck too and will get splashed with all kinds of stuff. I put two coats on everything. The shifter only got herculiner on the bottom portion that sits below the shift boot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.