View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:43 PM

Truck: 1966 C25
Island66 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New '66 Owner - In Over My Head?

Thanks, Pepsi. Reading your build thread has given me a bit of confidence, since like you I am not experienced and am tight with my money!

I've got a few questions today, hope someone can take the time...

Long one first...

So yesterday I wanted to start the truck up to see if I could figure out exactly where my leaks are coming from. Nothing. I pull the hood to pretend like I know what I am doing while the wife turns her over. Gas starts shooting out of the accelerator pump (yep, found out the name all by myself!). I've got no clue what to do at this point, so I call the PO (who has been a decent guy about my dumb questions) and he says to give it a few light taps with a wrench. Something about the float not seating.... blah, blah, blah. He also said that the carb was rebuilt in the last 500 miles, but this problem happened often. So I give it a few taps and it fires up. Can I do anything to fix this? I had to do the same thing again this morning to get it to start. I looked over several carb rebuilds, but didn't see anything addressing this. I plan on swapping her over to a Holley 500, but that will probably have to wait until after the first of the year, unless one of my kids wants an old Stromberg carb for Christmas.

Second, can someone provide me a list of shop manuals, etc. that I should try and pick up for a '66? I saw a 65-66 Maintenance Manual on eBay for $35. Is this one I should have?

Last edited by Island66; October 8th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.