View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2013, 06:23 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I spent the last two days cleaning up from the tranny rebuild. It looked like a bunch of dirty grease gremlins had a night of drunken debauchery in my tools. Eww.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

So I rubbed them down with a roll of paper towels and some mineral spirits. That stuff is good for cleaning grease. The little square (3ft by 2ft or so) of plywood that I put on my bench to keep it from the worst of the paint, dirt and grease was so bad I had to take it outside and wire-wheel it to get it usable again. That got me started on wanting to wire wheel more stuff so I put all of my U-Joints in the carb cleaner for a two hour soak.

Then the FEDEX truck showed up with half of my seals. WTG Rock Auto!

I put them away then remembered my NOS muffler I got a few months ago. It's got a cheesy chick on it trying to look all shy. I don't know what that has to do with mufflers.

I tried to slide it on myself. It has a larger side on the intake that fits right over my existing exhaust bits, but I cant get it to stay on with just sliding it on. it falls off when I start the truck. It sounded pretty good while it was on though. Still throaty but without the loud thunderous knock. I put it away again for now.

I moved back in the garage and touched up the step supports with more herculiner.

Put my old pressure plate, clutch, throwout and pilot bearings on a shelf. I can't throw them away yet. Hoarder!

Then I pulled the Ubolts out of the carb cleaner bath and put them on paper towels to drip while I wipe them down. The powder puff stepped up then and noticed something I didn't.

Did you see it? Here's a closeup

Yep, that's a smiley face! Powder Puff said, "daddy, this is probably the happiest job you have ever done on Cecilia, huh?"

Gotta love how kids' minds work. I wire wheeled them all down then sprayed them with Ospho. I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with them.

While they soak and convert I turned to my transfer case. I wire wheeled on it a little more but it's nasty stuff was still too hard. Instead I sprayed it with more Super Clean. Then I took off the side bracket.

Here's a pic of the bolt with all the pieces on it in order for reference. They didn't put any drain holes in the bracket so the metal spacer sits in water all the time. It corrodes to the bracket. I had to break mine loose with a hammer on one side.

And that was it for the day. Piddling stuff really, but it all needed doing. Here's to a good healthy cleanup and taking one more bite out of the elephant!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.