View Single Post
Old December 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
I always cut mine out from the inside. I just use a utility knife and I follow the metal flange that the seal wraps around. The seal is really thin there. Then just push it out top first. I pull old glass all the time. It takes about 5 minutes to do. I leave the old seal on the glass until I am ready to install. It helps protect the edges of the glass. Barry
I'll look at the inside but I think its just as hard inside as it is out. More like hard plastic than any kind of rubber.

Quote:
Do -not- get a torch near it. One "hot spot" while the rest isn't could very easily cause the windshield to shatter...

My '63 4000 had a good windshield, I was removing the overheat rack extensions (cutting them off) and one small piece of slag dropped onto the windshield wiper. Sent cracks out almost immediately.

With the windshield on the 60-63 being more expensive and harder to install/remove I would suggest extreme care if you decide to remove it. Cut slowly, a little at a time. In the past I have heard a horror story or two about someone breaking the window trying to get it in, getting it to seat in the gasket due to the curves. On one of my '61s there is an obvious gap, bottom center of the windshield, in the gasket due probably to shrinkage over the years. During wet weather the rain would bubble through to the inside while driving. After serious contemplation about removing the windshield, I decided to fill the space with clear silicone sealant. Then carefully went around the entire window rubbing sealant into the entire gasket to seal any cracks or other potential problems. I could have just covered it with a bead, but I didn't want it to look like I had added sealant. A little clear sealant and my fingers "massaging" the seal into the cracks and around the edges.
that's a good warning. i didnt think about it cracking the glass.

Quote:
I did a couple of similar repairs on my rock hard windshield gasket on my '55 GMC using standard black Permatex silicone. Permatex makes a clear "flowable" windshield silicon that is a great product. I discovered it by accident many years ago when I was looking for a way to make my own silicone coated sponge tires for racing HO scale slot cars. After that I have used it to repair numerous windshield leaks. See the link below.

i put some sealant in the ol cart for my next order. If its a small crack or something I can fill it with that for now and move up to a replacement when the time comes. How did you get that hard 55 gasket removed? Hammer and chisel?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.