View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:50 AM

Truck: 1963 1500 Custom
adamfgarner is on a distinguished road
Default weird distributor problem

Hey guys...I am trying to troubleshoot an odd problem I am having and figured you gents out there that had converted to one of the custom made distributors sold by HEIDizzy on e-bay might have come across this....

the new HEI unit is shipped without the gear...you must grind off the mushroomed pin from the old one and re-fasten it with the odd little rubber/metal rectangle keeper and a new pin...once that was accomplished and my distributor was reinstalled I had a mysterious oil leak at the top/back of my engine...I figured out that I forgot the distributor flange gasket (where it meets the block) so I removed the distributor (which was full of oil), cleaned it up and re-installed with a gasket...after running the truck a couple of days I still had the oil leak...it is NOT coming from the distributor gasket...somehow oil is traveling up the shaft and filling the inside of the distributor bottom plate and leaking out from there....has anybody had this problem? is it possible those little rectangle keepers are not tight enough and allowing oil to spin up the shaft? Is there some seal above the gear I am missing? Anyone? Bueller? ...Bueller? ...Bueller?