View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:39 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 Suburban 1962 GMC Utility
Funky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really niceFunky61 is just really nice
Default Re: Fuel pump question

Here is an archived post about the conversion.

December 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Guest Posts: n/a

Default Re: [6066 GMC] Electric Fuel Pump Converstion ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good idea! I've had manual pump failures as have many on the site. I've made this change using the Carter P4070 electric pump for 2 purposes: as a booster pump (initial start and when switching tanks) plus as a backup if I have a manual pump failure. Some have converted over to electric only putting a blank plate over the fuel pump mounting hole. An electric pump certainly improves reliability. It is simple to install. There is a lot of info on the site. Numerous recommendations, For example: Reference post 31852 ( Lewis Matlin), 4/19/07: " it is simple to install an electric fuel pump on your truck. You need a Carter P4070 pump, some 14 ga. wire, and a fuel pump safety switch. Run the power wire from a run circuit on the ignition switch, through the safety switch, then to the pump. The safety switch must be installed on the oil filter housing, so as to read line pressure. Install a 1/8th NPT run tee in the housing where the low-oil pressure switch is installed, so that both the safety switch and the low-pressure switch operate."
Carter P4070 Electric Fuel Pump and Mr. Gasket 7872 Safety Switch is available from Amazon.com or JEGs.com.
A fuel filter should be installed between the tank and the pump.
Claude O'Tyson- Meridian, Idaho