View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:10 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ignition problems....

I have seen a variety of point gap recommendations for the 305 and 351 ci engines. The range seems to be from 0.019 for new points that are then expected to wear down to a setting of 0.016 for what might be called "broken-in" points. I try to set my new points at 0.018, but this is more of a goal than a reality when setting the points on my small rotor distributors because I have never mastered the ability to adjust up or down by loosening the hold-down screw just enough to push the gap a little one way or the other. Instead, it seems that I am always starting over and hoping to end up better. It is critical, of course, to be sure that the points are sitting at the top of one of the high points on the cam when setting the gap. Stopping the engine at this point makes the process even more fun. As soon as I get the time, I am switching to Pertronix ignitors (already purchased) to get away from fooling around with points - where any improvement in performance would just be an added benefit.

jrmunn