View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:52 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305E Crankcase Ventilation Filter Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
I'm not taking any responsibility if you break it , but if it was me and I was sure it was push-on pull-off (I dont know with any certainty) then I'd probably spray the crap out of it with PB Blaster every day for a week, tap it lightly with a hammer and a piece of wood after spraying to vibrate it a little, then after a week I'd use that same wood to drive it in more. Like 2 taps or so, then try to pull it out with a wrench wedged in there, prying it gently or tapping the wrench with a hammer to tap it out.

Any way you can pull the engine to make it easier?

Also, if worst comes to worst you can poke the stuff back into the engine and just change the oil. It's probably had worse than that in it in the last 50 years. They're tough engines.
Thanks Fetch! I'm with you there. I was certain it wouldn't be that difficult to pull off. today will be 48 hours of PB soaking. Tried the prying approach you mentioned late yesterday using a 1x2 scrap of wood I had that fit nicely between the block and the fat part of the housing, but then that was not equal leverage on both sides of the main body. I guess this will be like Chinese water torture. Keeping persisting until it gives.

Sadly, can't pull the engine. Don't have the tools for that. Even if I did, I would have to gut all my junk out of the garage first. I made the mistake of moving into a neighborhood with a lovely HOA and covenants. Not sure they would be to keen on me doing that much work in my driveway. Looking forward to moving again for that reason alone. That's another rant though

I was planning on changing the oil anyway so may just take a chance on the poking it on out and letting the shop vac suck up what it can while doing it and hope the oil change and oil filter handles the rest.