View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:26 AM

Truck: 1969 305E V-6 C2500 Wideside
1969_CM2590D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Barry's thoughts on performance.

It's really pure coincidence I came up with that, Barry. A little while ago, I put the post on here about a V-6 in a Jimmy. Well, I decided that motor would go better in a 3/4 ton Suburban, since they weigh about 800 lbs and up. So, i looked around for something smaller from GM (except Chevy) for the 104" WB Jimmy. I have the Pontiac OHC 6 at the top of the list. But then the Buick 215 aluminum V-8 came to mind. So needless to say I ran into the Olds Jetfire motor. Olds to0k a different tack than most with it as they used it on a high compression engine as opposed to a low one. It's a rare bird as most people forgot the Rocket Fluid and burned up the turbo motor, replacing it with a standard 4bbl. Obviously spares evaporated a long time ago. The Rocket Fluid was an alcohol/water mix, but it's said water alone works well. It's not a new idea, water (and methanol) injected turbos were used in WW II planes. I tossed the Buick /Rover V-8 for a Jimmy project though. Even though it was used in Land Rovers and eventually enlarged to 5 liters, the steel cylinder liners have been separating, so i wonder about durability.

I wonder if that would bolt up to a OHC 6 Sprint manifold, hmmm...

You are, of course, right. There are many intelligent/not so obvious ways to get HP and torque- with efficiency. I've got a couple of books here to study on that. Someday, I'd like to build a Locost BMC A-series that would burn the Porsche pilots.

You really scavenge! Maybe I can meet you at my favorite junkyard if you're on this side of the world sometime...

1969 GMC CM2500
2000 Toyota Land Cruiser
1964 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe