View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2014, 01:55 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

It was here that things got a little un-focused.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I couldn't go into the hub anymore. I was stuck. I turned my attention to the dirt clod that should have looked like a front axle. I grabbed my scaler again and BZZZT! Off came the layers

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then the neighbors came out to do some early Easter stuff so I put it away. Can't get them all ticked off at me.

I moved to an oil change. I had the filter pre-ordered last year and I had 2 5 gallon containers of Rotella. Why not, right? I washed out my oil pan and put it under Cecilia.

She has a HUGE drain plug. It's 1 1/8 inches! I needed one of the special sockets I bought for rear end castle nuts to get it loose.

The drain plug was dripping before I even touched it. I got it out. Oil gushed everywhere. Be sure your pan is in the right place and that it holds a LOT. There's a little metal um...scarf? on the oil plug that I guess keeps it from leaking. Mine didn't work, but it looked OK.

To help it behave like it should I put some of this grey silicon (for high torque areas like rear end gaskets etc) on the metal scarf.

Then I let it dry a bit so it wouldn't make it stick to the oil pan too. By the time I finished the oil had quit falling out so I stuck a shop towel in it to keep it plugged.

Then I started taking off the oil filter. It takes a 5/8 inch wrench and the bolt you're turning is spring loaded so as you take it off it'll pull away from the big metal housing, until it POPs the housing back to the nut with a BANG! If you're not ready it'll scare the dickens out of you!

NOTICE: You need to empty your oil-filled pan now because more oil is coming out of the filter and it'll overflow your pan.

By the way, this pic also shows that brain eating Road Draft Tube in the foreground. It's sharp and any time you're under there it'll try to bite you in the face. It also shows my busted exhaust pipe on the right. I just discovered today that it's cracked at the joint too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; April 20th, 2014 at 02:16 AM.