View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2014, 07:04 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
I got it returned and decided I'd look for one online tonight. If anyone knows exactly the right size I'd be happy to borrow that info from ya!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I dug around in the bottom of my rollaway and came up with a spindle socket that used on (I Think) the Selectro hubs of my old flat fender jeeps back in the 70's. It is six sided, ID of 2 and 3/16s, OD of 2 and 1/2, and it is 2 and 3/4 " long cause it has to go inside the hub a bit. I'll try to do that picture thing Fetch so you can see it. It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure I bought it specifically just to work on front hubs. Problem is I can't remember if it was the Warn hubs or the Selectro hubs. Foley
Thanks Foley! Let me see what the measurements are like when I get into this kryptonite castle of a hub and I'll get back with ya.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Quote:
Dude....I love it when you chronicle your mechanical woes for all to behold.
What do you mean? I've got mad mekannik skillz!

Really I hope anyone else having the same trouble won't have to make the same mistakes if they see mine. Kinda like a "what not to do". Some of this stuff is definitely not...I cant think of the word, but it doesn't readily come to mind what you should do to get the things apart, even when looking at a diagram. Like, why not just put some bolts into it to hold it so you can take it apart easy? Well, I'm learnin. I'll get there!

Quote:
First problem....your hands are uncharacteristically clean....for the project yer working on...
The pic that I copied shows the snap-ring to be removed pretty clearly. Just inside of the end of your hub is a "inside" style snap-ring. Find the break in that surface and use a O-ring pick (nose-picker) to pry that thing loose.....pop it out of there..make sure the snap-ring is off of the end of the axle (outside snap-ring)...and the whole hub assembly will be free to slide out. It may hang up a little while sliding by where the snap ring used to be but it will come out with some patience....and maybe some PB blaster to soften things up a bit.

Oops on the second picture .....Interesting.... but not instrumental for successful hub removal.
You busted me. I make the Powder puff do all the work then I sidewalk supervise and take the pictures

I'll try again tonight if I can get free. I happen to have a booger picker too that the PO of my house left here in the yard.

And...is that a kid coloring a DOG in that last pic?!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; April 25th, 2014 at 07:11 PM.