View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:49 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Mini-Meets/Get-Togethers

If I remember right, Foley, the front tires are 12 x 16.5 and the rears are 12.50 x 16.5. Dad had to have the rear wheel openings enlarged to accommodate them. Darryl Starbird's shop in Wichita did that work as well as some of the work converting the rear opening from doors to liftgate/tailgate. If you're not familiar with Starbird, see http://www.darrylstarbird.com/starbird.htm.

I don't remember how Dad managed to find the Young Windows company in 1965, but I see they're still in business: www.youngwindows.com. Dad designed the custom made windows to match the angle of the B pillars. I remember them arriving at the house in a wooden crate. He and I worked on converting the panel into a Suburban with 4 rows of seats to accommodate us 9 kids.

A little more about it: Dad ordered it with almost all the options available at the time -- custom trim, power steering, power brakes, front bumper guards, clock, tach, no-spin rear end, and probably more than I'm forgetting. I think the spotlights were dealer-installed. Before he took delivery, he had the dealer swap out the 305E for a 351C. He also installed an auxiliary 20 gallon saddle tank. The tallest rear ratio available in the 2500 series was a 4.56, so he had an overdrive box installed to drop that to about a 3.4 ratio for better highway cruising.

We went on lots of vacation trips in it, pulling a 24' Avion travel trailer, going to the mountains in Colorado or back to New York to visit relatives. Dad had the truck/trailer combination weighed one time on a truck scales -- about 12,000 pounds. Good memories! I guess that means I've been a fan of the V6 for almost 50 years now.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435