View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2014, 03:15 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Cool. When you start cleaning pop the spindle off the backing plate and clean it. When I get to an I pad I will give you my thoughts. AND give you the proper terms. Elephant thing. I almost choked on my dessert . Barry

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I had to call it something and it just flopped around like an elephant trunk so...I dubbed it the elephant thing! I got the bearings cleaned up to take to a bunch of parts stores today. The rest will probably be tomorrow.

Quote:
Hey Fetch, I dig your detailed progress pics if I haven't said that a bunch of times already!

Yeah there should be a rubber lip in that "ring". It is the wheel bearing grease seal. The rubber has gotten pulled out of it somehow and I still suspect that the piece of rubber you pulled out may be part of it.

Looking forward to updates.

DAC
I think you're right Dac! It was kinda brittly-rubbery so the shoe fits.

I spent today doing other-car work and looking for Cecilia's parts. Good news is my other cars are loaded for bear. First pic shows The Boy, my tireless helper of the day, after his first oil change in the storm shelter/Oil pit. The Powder Puff stayed inside and painted walls with The Blonde.

Anyway...The bad news is NOBODY carries the bushing or the two little O rings I need. Nobody! I tried:

NAPA
Carquest
Oreilleys
Autozone

The guy at Oreilleys tried for almost an hour to find a part that would fit and still came up empty. He suggested trying online. Bummer.

Here's some part numbers for the more common things. The bearings are very easy to find because they used them for everything back in the 60's.

Grease Seal - National Brand - part number 442380
Inner Bearing by Grease Seal- Timkin Brand - part number LM 603049
Outer Bearing - Timkin Brand - part number LM 501349
Knuckle Bearings - Timkin Brand - part number 11520 (sleeve insert) and 11590 (bearing itself)
Brass Spindle\Axle Bushing - GM Part No. 2402596

Those tiny bearings in the top and bottom are called Knuckle Bearings. I don't have a part number on them yet, but when I do I'll post it.

I'll spend a large portion of the night tonight trying to find the bushing and O rings. Hopefully I can find them and get them installed soon because there's a MINI MEET coming up and the Powder Puff and I really plan to get down there for some burgers and hot dogs (and free advise!).

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Oh, and the second pic is of the bearings, nuts, and grease seal in the order they all came out for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3559 [800x600].JPG (81.8 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_3565 [800x600].JPG (97.0 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.