View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2014, 08:02 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:
Fetch: My Henry J had the same issues with shift linkage getting jammed (always in heavy traffic it seemed!) so I feel your pain. There was a metal pry-off cap on top of the shifter box that you could jam full of grease. When the small cap was off you could see where the two shifter arms needed to be lined up so the part that engaged each arm would have a smooth transition from 1st to 2nd gears - if these were not lined up then you would have problems. Kaiser Frazer even made a special tool (Miller Tool Company made it actually)that you could jam into the space between the two arms so they would line up perfectly. First you would have to loosen the nuts on both shift linkages then tighten them up when they were aligned. Forever I thought my problem was worn grommets on the linkage. In the end it was an alignment issue. I am sorry that just found out about your issue. Perhaps I could have shortened your suffering.
That's OK! I'm just glad it's fixed. I should have brought it up but I made that big assumption that I knew what was wrong because of the all the internet searchin I did pointed to welding. You know they can't put things on the internet that aren't true, right?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

next time I'm speaking up first!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Quote:
You folks listen to some great tunes! Good info here, and the knowledge those old timer mechanics have is priceless!

I had something with a 3 on the tree (had many) that you would do what you are saying but there were holes in the arms and when a 1/4" (I think) drill bit would slide through the holes you would tighten them up. Can't remember what it was though.

Glad to see an update!

DAC
That sounds like a great fix! You know some old guy was fiddling with it one day and thought, Hmm, I wonder... (grabs a drill bit).....SCHLOOP! Yep, it slides through. New rule of thumb!

Quote:
Pepsi,

This message arrived from Coyoterun via email:

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club
Thanks Coyote and Jeannie! Coyote that sounds like a fun night. And the cops probably didn't think twice about it. "Youwanna squeal 'em? Lemme get my cones out and you have at it!"

Tell the wife and daughter me and the Powder Puff say "Hi"!

Quote:
so are you gonna paint cecilia? or keep her rusty? she could come out nice 'n shiny one of these days!
Hantke thats the million dollar question. I have a strict set budget of $4800.00 to spend on her and then that's all she wrote. I love her to death but I won't go sinking money into her that I won't feel good about. I figure if I get in a real bad way I can always sell her for around that and not be out an arm and a leg. We'll have to see how it goes when I get into engine fixins. If I have enough money for paint I just might shoot a couple of coats on her.

Original color, of course!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.