View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:21 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305E torque specs crankcase Vent & timing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
they do not understand where the crankcase ventilation occurs for example - they said they think some of the oil leaks were caused by ineffective crank case ventilation? curious to hear what any of you might have to say....thanks
I had a lot of oil leaks due to the clogged crankcase ventilation filter mounted on the block behind the driver side valve cover. It is press fit in the engine, and since there is little room where it is sandwiched between the valve cover and firewall, I could never get it out. I used someones advice and simply kept flushing it with engine cleaner until the brash mesh in there was looking very clean. Then I obviously had to change the oil. With the brass mesh clean and new filter installed in the canister, I replaced the PCV valves under the valve covers, valve cover gaskets, valley pan gasket and added a gasket to the distributor that was missing. I have not leaked a drop since.

I would have never even known there was brass mesh in there if Barry had not enlightened me.

Some pics from my build thread...

Dicussion of this beast starts here on my build thread...

http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthr...t=48103&page=5