View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Truck: 1968 HM80 with a 478M and a few engines plus a Toro-Flow
turbobill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stock 305D Dyno Results

Seems a little lower to me than what would be expected. I'd think 110 RWHP at 3600-3800 RPM would be more in the ballpark.

The factory Gross HP figures are on an unencumbered engine taking horsepower directly from the crankshaft. Net HP figures in those days accounted for engine accessories installed and operating. Transmission/rear axle losses account for roughly15 to 25% (automatics absorbing more) and a factory single exhaust may kill another 10 percent. (that becomes more noticable as airflow through the engine increases)

Tuning is an important part of the equation too, and over the years, I've found a few extra degrees of spark advance always produced increased power you could feel. After a full power run, read your sparkplugs for determining any mixture changes needed. (a wideband oxygen sensor is the best way)

The thing I found interesting is that your HP peaked at 2650 RPM. I would have expected HP to continue increasing up to near the factory rated peak HP RPM. This tells me that there may be some intake/exhaust restriction lurking and/or the centrifugal advance mechanism in the distributor may not be working properly. A dyno run upto 3600 RPM or so might further confirm this.

One last thing. Over the years, I found many vehicles in which the throttle didn't open fully. (that falls in the intake restriction category) With any sort of power complaint, I always check that first.