View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2015, 12:55 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Not a good sound from engine

I have been working on my truck the last month or so. Fixed so many items I am loosing count. this truck had sat for the last 6 years or more. Engine would not turn all the way through, freed it up with MMO. Put the top end back together, replaced the gas tank, cleaned the fuel lines. Plus a bunch of other things I found needing attention.
Today was the day I figured I could fire the beast. Put the tank in, connected the fuel lines, added gas to the tank and cranked it over. No luck, no gas getting to carburetor. I had cleaned the fuel pump, but there was no gas in the fuel line anywhere. It would try to start when I poured gas down the carb. so I went to Napa and got another fuel pump.
Cranked it some more and finally gas got to the carburetor and she fired and purred. Then this knocking started, went away and then came back again. The engine was running at a fast idle, blue smoke was coming out of the exhaust, but that may be from all the MMO I poured into the cylinders.
According to the odometer there is about 67K on the clock. from what I saw inside the engine portions I took off, that may be correct, very little gunk or sludge build up, pretty clean.
Any ideas out there????