View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2015, 09:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Not a good sound from engine

I checked the oil level before I fired it this morning. Even thought I put 5 qts in there when I changed it, it was barely touching the dipstick when I checked it. Topped it up, put the battery back in there and started it. Well it made a little noise today, different than yesterday, so I went around the engine with the stethoscope listening to the engine. Most of the noise now seemed to be coming from the valve train, there was a louder knocking sound around #3, when I placed the probe further down the block.

I let the motor warm up and gradually the bad noises seem to disappear, just the rattling of the rockers. checked the dwell, it was around 31 degrees, timing was around 20 degrees, but I was turning 1000 RPM. Disconnected the vacuum advance line and it was sitting around 8 degrees, pretty good for this altitude. In the past I have always added 1 degree per thousand feet above sea level.

So I let it run and run, smoke mostly disappeared, still see some traces, but I figure the valve seals may have dried out a bit and let it ride for now.

Adjusted the carb, added the air cleaner and everything in the motor seems good for now. YAHOO!!!