View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2015, 03:17 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Installing Mechanical Water Temp Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKen View Post
Not sure the probe will fit, may hit back wall. That plug is a drain I believe. I don't think a backup mechanical gauge is necessary. If you must have one, it should be near the electric one on the front water crossover manifold. A Chevy thermostat housing (water outlet) with a pipe threaded off-set hole is available. May have to enlarge one mounting hole to fit V6 pattern, not sure V6 T-stat fits this housing but try Murray 84842 type..... Or you can drill and pipe tap into the crossover manifold, front of manifold, driver side (large flat area). Mount probe horizontal so as to clear T-stat. Either way will keep the two senders (switches) near each other for accurate comparison.
Yeah, that's a little more drama than what I want to deal with. I'm not into drilling and tapping cast parts. I'm afraid the existing pipe plugs in the block (drains, as you call them) are most likely too small diameter for any probe connection that I have seen in the past, and like you said, hole may be too shallow for a probe.

Well hey, if nothing else, I now know that I have a couple more options where I can drain the coolant without removing the lower radiator hose.

Thanks AZKen,

Clarke