View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:55 AM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Very lucky Clock/Tach EBay purchase

Thanks for the feedback jagarra...

I've actually beein looking for a new dwell meter, but I cannot find one locally, so I have to order one. The one I have is a '70's model I used as a kid and when I used it a few weeks back, I noticed the RPM was 100 off (compared to my digital timing light) and the actual dwell seemed to match the 8 cyl scale instead of 6 cyl scale, eventhough I had the switch on 6 cyl. When I adjusted to the 6 cyl scale, the points barely opened, but when I adjusted the points with .016" feeler gauge, the dwell meter read 33 degrees on the 8 cyl scale and I think it was 40 degrees on the 6 cyl scale. Anyway, I'm going to order another one.

I called Tachman on Monday and he said it's $225-235 to do the conversion (eliminate battery). By the time I pay shipping both ways, plus the risk of damage during shipping; I'm not ready to invest in that yet.

I'm not thrilled about chaning the battery every 6-12 months either, but for me it's the lesser of two evils right now. It also depends how much the tach will be off too; appartenly, the error varies as the battery output varies. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I've driven it for five or six years without one. It's just I'm doing a lot more towing now and I would like to take advantage of my top end, without pushing it beyond the recommended RPM.

Yes, good advice. I will mock everything up before installing my usual half a roll of tape, dozens of zip ties, wire loom, silicone, etc in place. I hate undoing my own work. LOL!

Thanks again,

Clarke