Thread: Tailgate Color?
View Single Post
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:35 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tailgate Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC View Post
Hey Bigblock, I was wondering what year GMC ceased to be a Division of GM, and if that was the year they became a "brand"o f GM products. I was thinking it was 1967, the first year after the 6066 run. Was 1970 actually the year of there transition to brand status? I wonder who has the very last true GMC and what it looks like. Thanks, GM
Thanks for the clarification. And sorry it did not make any sense. I read someone's synopsis recently, and it explored how GMC trucks went from being independently produced by a GM Division(GMC Truck and Coach DIV.), to being not much more than rebadged Chevy trucks produced on the same line(GMC Brand). Not unlike the 6066 Canada trucks were considered to be Chevy trucks with GMC badging. From your synopsis, I take it that GMC trucks were more or less "true" GMC's until 1973. At this time there production was a plurality of Chevy trucks, so to speak. I thought the modern GMC trucks were just rebadged Chevy trucks. Are there any substantial, mechanical differences in the two makes from 1973 on? Or from that year forward, were they just more or less the same, minus badging? I know the two truck lines used a lot of the same metal in 6066, but I always thought that the rest of there differences were enough to consider them "different" from each other. It looks like GM sort of phased out independent GMC light truck production over a several year period, until by 1973 they were Twins from the same line. Thanks again for the help, GM