View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2015, 02:15 AM

Truck: 1970 GMC RM-7500 based Motorhome
WE7X is on a distinguished road
Question Re: In need of 401 v6 water pump

Dan,
I do not think the 'M' designation would make any difference for water pump, but the front cover for the bigger motors may a bit different. I think one puts the water pump higher on the motor, but don't quote me on that. I seem to recall a discussion some time ago; about when putting a motor from a larger series truck into a pickup, the front cover may have to be swapped out, for the water pump to be in the correct location for the cooling fan shroud on the radiator (on the smaller trucks). I may be hallucinating, but I seem to recall something like that. I do not know just what the difference is, or maybe it was related to the difference in timing gears vs. timing chains on the bigger motors....Again, don't quote me. <grin>
I have two 478's here, in the garage, with no belts on them, and the 401 in the motorhome. If it comes to that, since you are fairly close to me, you could 'borrow' one of my water pumps to try, and then get one to match it. It comes off without disturbing the housing (6 bolts or 8?) , so it would not be much trouble.
Rod Johnson
Issaquah