View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:52 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Removing stuck pistons

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomman View Post
Many, and I do mean many years ago, you could get 2-5% tincture of Iodine. Pour it in the hole, and let it soak. Some reason unknown to me, it will soften up the rust and you will be able to knock out the piston. Old farmers would use it on their machinery to break loose nuts. Can't buy it any more in the pharmacy.
atomman
Greetings fellow club members!

Back in the 80's when I was still milking cows, I was able to order Tincture Strong Iodine from my local pharmacy. I used it for sanitizing my milking equipment, and it didn't take much for that purpose. It might be worth your while to go to your local pharmacy and see if you can order it. I don't see why you would not be able to still get Iodine. As to the issue of Iodine being used to free up rusted nuts, bolts, and stuck engines, it's an interesting theory, although I've never tried it myself, and quite honestly, this is the first time I've heard of using Iodine as a rust penetrant/dissolver. And trust me on this--I've heard of just about every concoction known to man to free up a stuck engine. One more thought--have you considered using a commercial penetrant known as Kroil? It's supposed to be the best there is, but then that's only what I have heard.