View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2016, 06:52 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Too much timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Your welcome! This has been alot of fun for me. lol The ol V6 has been running so good in my GMC that I've been needing something to do! haha! My engine is the same....mileage is unknown as it is Not the original V6 from that truck, but the compression was at 120-125 in all cylinders and the cam looked fairly good last I had the valley pan off. Put some engine restore in the oil and now I need to find some ZDDP for the oil and it should be good for, hopefully with the easy driving I'm doing, another 100,000. The oil was so dirty when I got the truck that I had to change it 3 times withing 40 miles before it was finally staying clean, but rather have clean oil than a flat cam or anything else.

Greetings TJ and all the other club members following this thread!

This has been a very interesing subject with a lot of good comments, and recommendations. Regarding the subject of a ZDDP additive for the oil, I would like to offer a suggestion. Amzoil Synthetic Motor Oil. I am running Amzoil Synthetic Oil (already contains ZDDP) in my 2001 Pontiac Bonneville (3.8 Litre V-6). My brother also runs Amzoil Diesel Synthetic Motor Oil in his 2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel, and swears it's the best oil he's ever used. It's a bit more expensive, but I took into consideration the benefits of synthetic oil plus the added benefit of the ZDDP. I know some folks who say you can run synthetic basically forever, however, I still recommend following the manufacturers oil change schedule. One nice thing about some these newer cars (like mine) is that the computer will warn you that you need to change your oil soon. I change both the oil, and the filter (no sense in having clean oil in the crankcase when there's still dirty oil in the filter) when the computer indicates that there is 5% oil life left. Of course, after the oil has been changed, the computer has to be reset (very simple procedure) to reset the oil life countdown to 100%.