View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:33 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Link to my video showing shifting without a clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
Man you got that Down! haha I've shifted without the clutch here and there, but not enough to be smooth about it. The synchros on 4th are toast in my sm420 so I have to double clutch for a quiet shift. But clutchless if I get the rpm's perfect it'll pop right in. Thanks for posting!
This whole "project" got started because of a stupid comment by someone who was ignorant. I almost ALWAYS shift without the clutch. Another stupid comment I heard from someone when I made the statement that I shift without a clutch was "Why would you even WANT to shift without a clutch?" My reply was, "Why would you want to CLUTCH if you do not have to? It just adds wear to the clutch."

Indeed, it certainly helps if the transmission has good syncros. You CAN shift without syncros, but you have to be VERY good to do that. You have to know EXACTLY how many RPMs your engine turns at what speed and in what gear. Most people would likely destroy the transmission trying. That includes me, unless I know the car VERY well. I had some VW Bugs that had syncro issues that I could shift with bad syncros, but I knew EACH of those cars very well and I had spare transmissions just waiting if I messed up.