View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2023, 10:46 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Hi Steve,

Sure, PM me your phone number (with the country code, ie. the full number) and I'll send you (or anyone else) some videos of the 478 running. Still need to upload them to YouTube.

The SM420 bearing noise was slightly present at first but seems to have vanished now. Maybe because the new gear oil finally has found all the crevices in the transmission. Works like it should now even shifts great into 2nd gear.

I'm going to do a driving video as well, these will follow soon also.

The mufflers make the engine sound like it has a cold, really odd. Didn't have that with the 305. Hope to receive the new mufflers tomorrow so they can be installed.

Tried gasoline today, and got the idle right, about 14:1 AFR. The 73 main jets are too large it seems. The AFR gauge went to 10 when transitioning into the main circuit

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

and the engine stalled when I let off the throttle. I've set the float level correctly. Probably going to 68's and start there. The power valve opens at 8" HG and the idle vacuum is 15" HG, so right on the money there.

Driving is fun but requires a careful right foot. In 4th gear I can pull from 20 mph to 50 mph in one go, it just pours out the torque like it's nothing. And it'll get a 5000-pound truck moving for sure.