Thread: 3 on the tree
View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2013, 02:07 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC Pickup 305e V6
melmashman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 on the tree

Hi Ray and Others,
I thought I posted this, but perhaps did not submit it.
I just drove in over 100 degree mid day heat about 233 miles mainly downhill and flat from Prescott to Tucson. My wife followed me in a car with flashers on since I was going 50-55 on a 75mph stretch of I-10.
The V6 with 3 on the tree never overheated and provided a great ride, but an overdrive would have made a huge difference in driving safety at 65mph. I did not see a single one-finger hand jester so I would call it a very successful trip.

On Monday I am taking this to a Hot Rod shop which does custom transmission work. I have passed on your great e-mails on the MY6 and Dodge NV 4500 conversion. I am leaning towards getting the NV 4500 because a Granny Gear and an Overdrive seem like a good match for my heavy camper configuration.

I am not sure on the rear-end gears. I'll have them count teeth and ask you what you think about keeping it as is or modifying the rear end. My understanding is that it is a 1 ton rear end on a 3/4 ton truck, but that is all I know.

Let me know if you think I'm crazy doing this transmission conversion:-) I assume others have done it and I would really like hearing their pros and cons. I know putting a hole in the floor is against some purists concepts, but I plan on taking this vehicle on many long excursions rather than having it just for show. As it is, many heads turn when they see the vehicle which is in wonderful well-cared for shape.

Thanks again for ALL your suggestions and feedback. I clearly would have gone down the wrong path without your help.

Cheers,
Mel