Thread: 3 on the tree
View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:25 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC Pickup 305e V6
melmashman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 on the tree

Hi Ray and Others,
The shop that I am using that does many transmissions is unable to get an adapter for the Dodge NV4500. They spoke with the adapter folks and it does not fit and would require a lot of tweaking. They were reluctant to do something that they would not guarantee working and I commend them for that.
I have not purchased the NV4500 so I'm not out any money, but wondered if the 4 speed with perhaps a change in the rear end will be much better than just putting an overdrive on.
Anyway, I have plenty of time, but I am a little frustrated with the process.
They mentioned the possibility of putting in an automatic, but I really would rather have a stick than deal with that adaptation which could lead to further issues with transmission overheating with my heavy camper.
Anyway, I'll investigate further to verify they really have the Dodge and not the GM version of the 4500 and I will have them see about getting the 833 4-speed which I understand is an easier install.
My question is there anyone that has actually made these conversion that I might be able to have the shop talk to.
Let me know,
Thanks,
Mel