Thread: 3 on the tree
View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:34 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
steve c is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3 on the tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Mel, I saw that note too, and I agree that it could cause some confusion. There definitely is a "heavy duty" version of the NV4500, and this is the one that was used behind the diesel and V-10 gas engines. The fastest way to identify it externally is the 1-1/4" input shaft. Even though Advance suggests that it can be used by swapping the bearing retainer, I think you will have trouble finding a clutch disc for it that would work on a GMC. The "standard" NV4500 has a 1-1/8" input shaft and that one will fit the stock GMC clutch disc.

Ray
Ray the transmission is not the issue the GMC V6 bell housing is the problem, the depth required to use the adapter is incorrect. The Chevy and GMC bells have completely different dimensions also the GMC has the pilot bearing in the flywheel not the crank. The application for the 712550 is for GM V8 not V6 the depth required from the face of the bell to the pilot bearing is 6-5/8" the V6 only has 5-11/16 making the shaft on the NV4500 too long. We can change the input and bearing support to a GM one but then its too short requiring milling the adapter about .187 thinner plus modifying the mounting holes as the V6 trans has 2 bolts going from the inside out and 2 going from the outside in plus counter boring the adapter to fit the front bearing support. This is all in theory of coarse since we don't know anyone who has done it including Advance Adapters. I hope this clears up any confusing about this application.
Steve