View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2018, 01:55 AM

Truck: 1964 1500
David is on a distinguished road
Default New member introducing myself and Holley carb

I’m new to any automotive work but have wanted an older American vehicle for some time now. My strongest pull has been towards 60-66 Chevy and GMC and pulled the trigger on one this August.
Mostly original Oakland CA built ‘64 3/4 wide long GMC 305 (e? Or 305a?)Base model w factory power brake. Was parked in a neighborhood I pass through w a for sale sign in the window.
It runs pretty good as is but is running real rich. Was thinking I needed to tune the carburetor but I think I’ve got the wrong carburetor to start with.
Called Holley today for help id’ing which carb is in my truck. The numbers show I’ve got a 500 cfm model 4412.
Asked what he would recommend and he said a 350 cfm, he gave me a Holley part no. 0-08350,(I think I’d need a different one as that’s a electronic choke)
But the message was my engine couldn’t pull enough air through to get the right performance out of the 500 cfm. My fuel economy is not what it could be to say the least and this setup dosnt let me get enough air so it’s wanting to stall out on me from an idle.

Thanks for any advice,
David Cox
Portland, OR
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 809F8286-6783-49B1-9636-55179232ADCE.jpeg (2.02 MB, Multiple views, 32 clicks)