View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2019, 01:40 PM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 65 305e Fuel Pump Question

Does your fuel pump have a weep hole? If so, and the pump has failed, I’m assuming you would have gas or oil leaking from this weep hole.

On my ‘62 305, the rubber diaphragm consistently tears near the pump housing body flange where the diaphragm is pinched. Mine has a bolted body flange so I can disassemble and inspect the internals. To me, it seems the rubber is poor quality or not the right kind of material for it’s application. When mine starts leaking it sprays fluid all over the passenger inner wheel well and under the hood, because the weep hole is on top of the pump.

I have tried pumps from multiple places and for the most part, they have the same casting numbers on the housing body. Could be same manufacture; just different packaging? For me, they all perform the same.

I continue to use O’Reilly because they have lifetime warranty and are easier to find when traveling and they stay open later than most places. I tried several Napa pumps and no different; just more of a return hastle.

In general, I think these replacement pumps are junk and we all seem to have different opinions. I’ve had multiple diaphragms tear within 100-200 miles while on road trips runner my 3200-3400 RPM, so I think the diaphragm is the wrong material and possibly a poor design. I plan to install an electronic pump, but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.