Thread: Oil Leak
View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2013, 07:35 PM

Truck: 1967 2500 305 V-6
TimC is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Leak

Hi everyone,

I have a messy oil leak at the back of my engine. It seems to be coming from the area around the breather tube?? It is very hard to see back there. But the tube seems to come up behind the left head than crosses behind the distributor than up to a hose to the air cleaner.

My oil leak is pretty massive. Mostly going down from about the bottom of heads over the bell housing off the trans. Most of it is to the right side though, some to the left. Mostly seeping. Like the starter is dry, but the block, oil pan, and bell housing are soaked. Not much if any above the bottom of the heads. The clutch and everything inside bell housing are dry.

I believe the head gasket wouldn't leak oil like that without some other obvious problems. I did a R&R on the intake, valve cover's (new gasket's), and cam cover (permatex) last year.

That leads me to the distributor (shouldn't leak much), or the breather tube.
Does anyone know how the breather tube is attached? Is there a gasket, or a fitting that may have failed? Or something else entirely? It seems to me that the tube to the air cleaner is too oily (inside). Maybe a baffle or something?

Any thought's will be appreciated. Thanks. Tim.
71 C 10 Chev.
71 C 20 Chev.
and way too many projects sprawled throughout my yard...