View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2014, 01:12 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Now it was time to put the new tires on. It's much easier to put them on than it is to take them off. Start by pushing the edge of the wheel into the new tire, wheel face first.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

If you're a fat man you can just walk around it now and it'll push the wheel into the tire. I found I could push most of it in by hand, then use my super sized screwdriver to pry the rest of the way around.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Once the face is in just flip it over and do the same with the other side. It's pretty easy at this point.

Poke a new valve in it. I got mine in a four pack off Amazon with a valve stem core remover.

At this point I tried lots of ways to get the tire to seal so it would hold air. It never did until I came up with this. I put a towel over the painting stump.

Now I laid the tire on the tree stump and HUFF! picked up on it fast to kind of raise the upper part of the tire onto the bead area of the wheel so it would halfway seal. Ok, not seal, but at least very lightly hold the rim without falling back down. Then I'd slowly lower my hands so it didn't fall back down. Finally I had to pinch the side that was over the valve stem area so it would lip over the stem and form a very crappy seal. This let air flow into the stem, into the tire (and out of the tire too, just not as fast as it went in), and finally that pushed the tire into place as I got up to the recommended 44 psi.

WARNING: Dont touch the tire while you fill it with air! It will POP into the bead and break your neck!

Mine had this pencil thin whitewall, so I turned that part facing the inside so it wouldn't show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.