View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:16 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I never found any numbers, but if you look at my springs you can see that they're held on with a U-bolt. That's telling right there. I can tell from the shape of the rear end cover that it's either a Dana 44 or a Dana 60. Thats all that was offered on K1000 in 1962. So without finding any numbers and seeing that the U-bolts were used I can assume it's a Dana 44, the most common rear end in GM trucks.

How do I know that? I searched and read about other people that had similar trucks and didn't know what rear end they had. I could still be wrong. It could be the much sought after Dana 60, but I doubt it. This was a farm truck.

This was going to be some insight into the monkey with wrenches mindset so try to follow this next part...It's jumpy.
  • Seeing that I identified my rear I thought hmm thats way down there. I might not be able to lie down that long enough to do it right all at once.
  • Then I thought those springs are rusty.
  • Then I thought what's that in the bed of my truck? Oh yeah, the old floor mat that broke. I should toss that.
  • Then I thought look at that plywood in the bed. A 4x8 sheet fits perfectly huh?
  • Then I thought well that looks like crap. I wonder what the bed wood looks like under?
  • And that's when I thought to myself it would be alot easier to remove the bed to get to the rear end and I could paint the undersides while I was at it.

So that's what led me from I wonder what's leaking most? to "Hey lets remove the bed!"
See? Jumpy.

I called the kiddos over and asked if they wanted to do any vacuuming in the bed. Surprisingly they both jumped at the chance.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

They picked all the little screws and acorns off of it then I ran around pulling out the decking screws. Then we lifted it up.

Not as bad as I would have thought really. It only has three holes in it. I would have probably still used it like it is. The kids then started vacuuming the old wood. The boy got the first half. Dig the shark shoes eatin up the dirt. Nom nom nom!

Then the powder puff got the second half.

Nearest I can tell there's only four bolts holding the bed to the frame. Here's two pictured.

The thought process started up again at this point.
  • Cant remove the bed without removing the bumper which i wanted to paint anyway.
  • And cant remove the bumper without removing the lights.
  • Hey those lights look awful and rusty. I should paint 'em!

And thats how I went from Lets fix a leak to Lets paint some taillights. Get it? Me either.

I checked out the way the tail lights were mounted. They have a plastic sheath on them up through the bumper.

I pulled out a 7/16 wrench and got to wrenching on the nuts.

Once both of them were off I snipped the wires going to the light. I later found out this wasn't necessary. Don't snip your wires if you don't have to.

I put the light can down and removed the two screws on the face of it to look inside at the eww inside. Nice rust collection on the outside here. It had rust on the inside too.

To remove the bulb you give it a light push on the bulb and twist the bulb to the left (righty tighty lefty loosey) then pull it out. See the little nubs on the side of the bulb's shiny gold part? Those are different heights on each side. That means that you can't put it in backwards. Each nub has to go in a specific slot when you put it back in. And be careful of the bulb itself. It is glass after all.

Hopefully you got yours removed.

Then push the wires through the hole the same way the bulb just went.

Then tape up the plastic white reflector on the bottom if you can't get it out.

You might tape up the inside of it too to protect it from overspray. I didn't and hit it with a little bit. Actually I painted my dang Iphone too if you can believe that. I sat it down to move some things for pictures, sprayed the things, and saw a nice little PSSSHHHHTTT line across the phone's glass.
Nice.

I sanded that can out and painted it black with bedliner paint. It's supposed to be tough enough to take a punch and not fall apart like regular paint. I'm planning on using it on anything black that will see dirt and rocks.

Then I went back and labeled that wire I cut off at the truck.