View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:25 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An old man's journey with GMC 702 V12s

"Balaur"

Pics. taken at Santa Fe Trail days celebration, 6-4-10, Boise City, Okla., parade, and Cimarron Heritage Center, (museum).

The '47 Spartan trailer house was local trailer, had been used for storage at Boise City for several years, but had been used there for years as a residence. A son still lives there. He let the museum have it, and I restored it in my shop for them. It is totally functional as it was in 1947. Spartan was built in Tulsa, after they quit building aircraft for WWII. It's now Spartan School of Areonotics and Engineering. We pull it behind "Balaur" in the parades sometimes.
One neat thing about the trailer resto. was when we took it back out there. We had the son who lives there to meet us on the edge of town at a Dairy Kreem, so he'd be the first in town to see it. He lived with his parents as a boy in it, and he and everyone in town thought it was junk. He was really pleased it had been restored and would be in his hometown's museum.

The fellow in passenger side of "Balaur" is 85 yrs old. He bought the new '62 GMC pickup. Wore it out, parked in pasture for years, but sold to me to modify for the V12 engine. I gave the truck title to the museum that day, so he was pleased his old pickup would be in the museum, too. We left dents in the cab intentionally, and he can give the history of each one from farm use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010055.jpg (29.4 KB, Multiple views, 14 clicks)
File Type: jpg Balaur, Santa Fe trail days, 2010 022.jpg (29.8 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg Balaur, Santa Fe trail days, 2010 005.jpg (30.8 KB, Multiple views, 16 clicks)
File Type: jpg P1010057.jpg (44.0 KB, Multiple views, 11 clicks)

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by Cayoterun; February 15th, 2013 at 04:17 AM.