View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:13 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

The next six bolts have been keeping me up at night. I worry that it'll fall out on me and crush me like a grape, lol.

I sneaked out there today like a super ninja. A super ninja that wears jorts and a dirty tshirt.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Yeah I'm smokin off the clock. Lock up the wimmings

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

So I sneaked under there while the baby was down for a nap. I only had 2 hours for unbolting, cleaning up, and taking a shower before she woke up so I was in a bit of a rush. I started with putting a vice grip on the 4wd shifter because it kept falling on me.

Then I put a jack stand under the flywheel. I later found out that this is not a great idea. Instead I should have put a jack under the back of the engine and raised it up just barely 1/8 inch to take pressure off of the motor mounts after the tranny is removed.

Also the flywheel MOVES! Who'da thunk that? If it fell on a jackstand it'd probably just roll off and chase me down the street.

There was a little tab on the crossmember (big steel platform under the transmission) beside each bolt. I bent it away with a screwdriver. I think its there to keep the bolt from backing out.

Then I grabbed a 3/4 inch socket and BZZZT! Out they both came. Easy as pie. I moved up to the transmission bolts now. The top ones are facing the rear of the vehicle, the bottom ones are buried behind the bellhousing. Seems intentionally evil to me. Today I took the top bolts out and left the bottom ones in.

Next thing I'll do is put a jack under the transmission to hold it up and remove those two bottom bolts. Then wheel the whole she-bang out for cleanup and inspection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.